Q. My PVCs have increased for the past few weeks after I eat or when I am hungry. Why?

Dr. Prashant Valecha

I have had a very large increase in PVCs for the past few weeks. They happen mostly after I eat or when I am hungry. I suffer from health anxiety, so I cannot focus on anything else when I get something. I have a holter monitor set for this Friday, thankfully, then seeing the cardiologist next week, and I am going to request an echo as well. I had my bloodwork done this morning. I want to know why my stomach plays such a big role in these? And am I fine to get my second COVID vaccine tomorrow without knowing for sure what is going on?

#

It can be due to some hyperdynamic state like thyroid dysfunction or anemia, or it can be idiopathic.

Any other structural cause can be ruled out on an echo.

If your first shot of vaccine was uneventful, then go-ahead for the second.

Beta-blockers can help in PVCs.

Thank you for the reply.

Are these normally not dangerous? I had an echo about 16 years ago that was normal, but I know I would have to get a new one now. I am 39 years old. I am scared of them turning into something like V-tach.

#

Occasional PVC are not a reason to worry. PVCs may occur as isolated single events or as couplets, triplets, and salvos (4 to 6 PVCs in a row), called brief ventricular tachycardias. PVCs may occur early in the cycle (R-on-T phenomenon) after the T wave or late in the cycle, often fusing with the next QRS (fusion beat). R-on-T PVCs may be especially dangerous in an acute ischemic situation because the ventricles may be more vulnerable to ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation.

Get your serum electrolytes, thyroid function, and hemoglobin checked.

|