Premature Ventricular Contractions

Is sinus arrhythmia a serious condition?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old and never had any issues of bad health. I recently woke up a few days ago with an irregular heartbeat, and it felt weird. Like 1-2-1-2-123-1-2 so on. So I went to the doctor. I had an ECG done, and the doctor told me it was sinus arrhythmia, and he was not at all wor...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An irregular heartbeat can be very much normal in healthy people and also sometimes abnormal. Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are normal sometimes. On the other hand, paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is abnormal rhythm, that has long term complications. These...  Read Full »

Why am I having single heart palpitations?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old and having regular single heart palpations. I have an Apple Watch which provides an ECG and this shows my heart is beating at regular intervals, but there is fairly regularly a single beat which is much larger. I can feel this in my stomach/chest area and feels like a...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the results you attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are experiencing missed beats aslo known as premature ventricular contractions. They are are usually benign (harmless). Your symptoms can be worsened by drinking, caffe...  Read Full »

Are hypothyroidism and PVCs related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is about 6 feet, and weight is 170 lbs. I do not drink, but do smoke a pack of cigarette a day. My problem is PVCs. About eight years ago, I went to the ER because it felt like my heart was skipping every other beat. All test came back fine. I followe...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess all your heart tests including echo was normal last time and you do not have any chest pain. First, we need to look at the reason. Most of the time they are benign and not a matter of worry. Smoking, stimulant drugs including caffeine if any, hyperthyroidism an...  Read Full »

Why do I feel flutters in chest?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male, in good shape and exercise 5 to 6 times per week. Lately, I have been feeling weird flutters in my chest. Started wearing a heart rate monitor. It showed my average resting heart rate at 44 BPM, which seems low. Noticed these symptoms are happening almost dai...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you feel as if your heart is racing? Have you ever noticed any dizziness or fainting? Is there any family history of heart disease? Since it started has it been progressing? It could be palpitations you are experiencing which are often benign. But I will love for ...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause PVC?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs. I gave birth to my second child seven months ago. Ever since then, my heart has had extra beats, and I also have the skipped beat feeling. It happens daily and many times a day at rest. I went to the doctor, and he sent me to the emergency r...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand how you are feeling. PVC (premature ventricular contractions) can be disturbing and scary, but it poses no harm. When you get worried, it leads to anxiety, which is the main reason why your palpitations will increase. Pregnancy is one big process that can br...  Read Full »

My ECG shows irregular beats. Can this be due to stress and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken my ECG using a device. I have been getting these irregular beats for about a week. Sometimes I think I have been getting some slight chest pain also but not sure if that is a placebo-like effect or not. My uncle who is a doctor thinks they are ectopic beats in relation to...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These extra beats are called premature ventricular complexes (PVCs) (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Normally heartbeat is caused by an electric current in microvolts. That current is generated in an area of the heart called the sinus node. That current...  Read Full »

I have PVC after starting Methadone. Will beta blockers help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male, and I am currently on Methadone for chronic pain. I currently have PVC, and my last EKG showed a long QT (over 500 ms). The doctor recommended that I take Magnesium and Potassium supplements as he believes that Methadone may be reducing my magnesium and potassium ...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your explanation in detail, and I understand your worries. Long QT syndrome can predispose you to a fatal arrhythmia known as torsades de pointes. In your case, I will strongly advise you to commence treatment with a beta blocker. This is a saf...  Read Full »

Is my chest pain due to vitamin D3 deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor,Four months ago, I consulted you on this platform for premature complexes which I was having without any other symptoms. Below is my query and your answer - I am a male of 48 years of age. I have a lean build and do regular exercise. Since childhood, I had a tendency for heart palpitat...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the overall picture, the problem appears to be a minor one and not worrisome. The likely cause of the pain is chest muscle strain. It is less likely to be related to vitamin D as it is just borderline, not very low and also not related to supplements. Once...  Read Full »

Immediately after doing Valsalva maneuver, why do I have trigeminal pulse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male, who is 5.6 feet tall and weigh 172 lbs. I have head and chest pains for over five years. Currently, I take Metoprolol, Amlodipine, Losartan, and Prednisone. My pulse and heart rates are normally regular, but immediately after doing Valsalva maneuver, it becomes trigeminal p...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your case and understand that you are worried about your heart beats and pulse after doing Valsalva maneuver. The trigeminal pulse is defined as the one with a pause after every third heart beat. It is usually due to the underlying process called...  Read Full »

What is the risk of SCD in a patient with LVH and PVCs?

Query: Hello doctor,What is the risk of SCD in a patient with LVH and history of PVCs and possible NSVT? Will simply treating BP reverse any risk? All I have read about this indicates the prognosis is unclear but I am very worried and hope you can shed some light on my situation. I have not had confirmed N...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, how bad are your hypertension and hypertrophy? Can your hypertrophy be explained by your hypertension? If yes, then it is likely hypertension induced. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy may cause hypertrophy in young age, but it usually causes severe hypertrophy, w...  Read Full »