Q. What can be the reason for my preterm labor?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I had a premature pregnancy in the 6th month. That was my first pregnancy. Suddenly, I had a stomach pain in the lower side and no other symptoms were found. We visited our doctor and she said that the cervix started to open slightly. I got severe pain, some medicines were given that night and in the morning the cervix opened completely and the baby got delivered. The doctor said that it may be due to some infections. But, my vaginal and urine culture had no infections. After one week, we had a test for rubella and CMV. My rubella ICG value is more than 500 and CMV ICG value also more than 500. Rubella IGM is 0.243 and CMV IGM is 0.413. Are these viruses responsible for premature pregnancy? What can I do to avoid this in future?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Rubella or CMV infections (cytomegalovirus) generally do not cause midtrimester abortion, so are very less likely to be causative in your case.
  • Rubella and CMV IgG values indicate that you have immunity to those infections and they likely had occurred in the remote past and not during pregnancy. Another possibility is that you had taken the vaccine for rubella in the past.
  • Most commonly midtrimester abortion happens due to cervical insufficiency to hold a pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|