Q. I have two fibroids about 5 to 6 cm. Could that cause preterm labor?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I had a preterm labor and my baby was born at 27 weeks but unfortunately had a brain bleed and passed away. I have two fibroids about 5 to 6 cm. Could that cause preterm labor?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Preterm labor can be the result of many reasons like intrauterine infection, cervical incompetence, fetal anomalies, intrauterine growth restriction, high blood pressure, abnormal placentation, trauma, multiple pregnancies, maternal uterine anomaly, prelabour preterm rupture of membranes, etc.

In pregnancy, if not multiple seedling fibroids in grand multipara with soft and weak tissue texture of uterus (dangerous for post-delivery bleeding), normally one or two fibroids of 5 to 6 cm should reduce in size naturally. Fibroids locations if it is present at cervix can affect labor, can weaken cervix that lead to preterm labor or middle pedunculated fibroid which is distorting uterine cavity can also need myomectomy before conception.

I do not have any idea about fibroids locations in your case but it is better to have a re-scan for size and location and discuss here or with your treating gynecologist. Some locations and sizes need intervention before pregnancy to have a good outcome. Have Folic acid 0.4 mg daily if not having any chronic disease. Have full treatment of any disease that you and your partner have and discuss advised medications effects on pregnancy and conception. Quit recreational drugs and have recreational activities both of you. Daily exercise, healthy nutritious diet, balanced BMI (body mass index). After scan and detailed discussion regarding fibroids size and location, you can retry for conception.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|