Q. Will taking Progestin frequently to delay periods cause any problem?

Answered by Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Progestin or Migraine? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am getting married three weeks from tomorrow. I am taking the Progestin only birth control pill as I cannot take the combination pill due to my migraines with aura. I talked to my gynecologist a couple of weeks ago to see if there is a way to adjust my period date so that I do not get it during my honeymoon. She told me to go off of my pill this week so that I will get it this week (which I did) and my period would not come for my honeymoon.

However, I am certain that she told me the wrong dates as now I am right on schedule to get it again for my honeymoon. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do now. Would it work to go back in the pill for the next week and then go off again and get my period again so that I can push it back and I do not get it in my honeymoon? Or will that probably mess with my system too much?