Q. Can pneumonia cause prolonged QT waves?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2019

I went to the emergency room with fast heartbeats. The doctor did an EKG and chest x-ray, and he said I had pneumonia. But, my QT was slightly prolonged. He repeated the EKG after a week later and said it was fine. Should I be concerned about the prolonged QT? Can pneumonia have caused it?

#

• How much was your QT?
  • Pneumonia will not cause QT prolongation. Since it has resolved, it was probably due to some reversible causes like electrolytes abnormalities like hypocalcemia, hypokalemia, etc. Many drugs also cause QT prolongation, so drugs need to be reviewed for the same.
  • However, it is better to repeat the ECG (electrocardiography) once after 3 to 4 weeks just to be sure that it is not prolonged.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|