Q. Can pneumonia cause prolonged QT waves?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Prolonged Qt or Electrocardiogram? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I went to the emergency room with fast heartbeats. The doctor did an EKG and chest x-ray, and he said I had pneumonia. But, my QT was slightly prolonged. He repeated the EKG after a week later and said it was fine. Should I be concerned about the prolonged QT? Can pneumonia have caused it?