Q. Can pneumonia cause prolonged QT waves?

Published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2019

I went to the emergency room with fast heartbeats. The doctor did an EKG and chest x-ray, and he said I had pneumonia. But, my QT was slightly prolonged. He repeated the EKG after a week later and said it was fine. Should I be concerned about the prolonged QT? Can pneumonia have caused it?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• How much was your QT?
  • Pneumonia will not cause QT prolongation. Since it has resolved, it was probably due to some reversible causes like electrolytes abnormalities like hypocalcemia, hypokalemia, etc. Many drugs also cause QT prolongation, so drugs need to be reviewed for the same.
  • However, it is better to repeat the ECG (electrocardiography) once after 3 to 4 weeks just to be sure that it is not prolonged.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My father had pain below the heart which was on the rib side. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had mild chest pain. The doctor did an angiogram, and they told there is a block in the blood pumping vessel and it is closed. We planned for placing a stent. The next day, the doctor tested again and told the blood vessel is opened and it is normal. So, the stent was not place...  Read Full »

Which anti-anxiety and insomnia medicine will not raise blood pressure and heart rate?

Query: Hello doctor,One of the doctors (DM) prescribed me XeFexor Duo (combination of Flupentixol and Escitalopram) for psychosomatic symptoms due to persistent anxiety. All my tests like TMT, 2D echo, 48 hours Holter monitor, ECG, kidney or liver tests, blood tests, vitamin tests, etc are normal. I read t...  Read Full »

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full »