Q. My QTc was 470 in the EKG taken for shortness of breath. Is that normal?

Published on Nov 24, 2018

I went to the ER for shortness of breath. I suffer from panic disorder and hypochondria. My doctor did an EKG and released me and told me it was benign. I saw my QTc was 470. Is this correct? She told me there was a benign ST elevation. I am so nervous. Please help me. Is this EKG normal? Do I have a prolonged QT?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

No, it is not a long QT (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Manually, QTc fine. There are S waves in lateral leads suggestive of some conduction delay and early stages of RBBB (right bundle branch block), which can also be seen normally in some individuals and more common in athletes. So, at present, there are minor changes in ECG which are fine to have and does not suggest any particular abnormalities. However, you may need echo if clinically indicated like having consistent shortness of breath on exertion rather than panic attack, or any other symptoms suggestive of heart disease. So, overall should be considered as benign.

I have had two echos in the past two years for RBBB. Is that what this EKG is suggesting? Is that what the ST elevation is from?

#

That is great. Yes, there are RBBB changes and nonsignificant ST elevation due to RBBB only. This elevation is not at all significant.

Can machine-generated report of EKG be completely relied upon?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and need a medical certificate. I have hypertension that is controlled easily with 10 mg Propranolol a day and 10 mg Lisinopril a day. My BP is 117/70 with 66 BPM. There are no symptoms of chest pain or shortn...  Read Full »

Is shortness of breath and chest pain associated with anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female on Prednisone 40 mg and Vitamin C 2.5 g since the past five days. I have just woken up feeling short of breath and chest pain. I checked my blood pressure, and it was 120/80 mmHg and my heart rate was in 50s. My blood pressure will be usually 110/65 mmHg, and my heart rate i...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and chest pain after breathing in steam

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male weighing in 185 and 5'9". I do not take any medications. I am worried if I am at risk of any complications after having breathed in some steam/air at about 350 F. I was covering a pot roast I had just taken out of the oven when I accidentally took a breath of it...  Read Full »