Q. I have bulging eye problem for a year even after some treatment. Why?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am facing bulging eye problem for a year. I am not able to sleep at night due to watery eyes. I went to the doctor, and he did an MRI and found that my eye muscles have enlarged. He gave the treatment for three months, but there was no benefit. He gave me Solu Medrol 500 mg then 250 mg injections for two months and some vitamin tablets. It is a severe problem. Please help me.

Do you have a question on Proptosis or Hyperthyroidism?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Asif Manzoor

M.B.B.S., MRCS EDIN. OPHTHALMOLOGY., FCPS OPHTHALMOLOGY
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

The condition you have described is called proptosis. The most common cause of proptosis is thyroid abnormality (hyperthyroidism) and called thyroid eye disease (TED). In this condition, eye muscle gets enlarged due to GAG (glycosaminoglycans) material deposition. This condition usually resolves after active and quiet phase that takes up to five to seven years.

During this time the actual cause is treated (hyperthyroidism) and for proptosis steroids may be given (that you have already taken). Enlarged muscles can compress the optic nerve and can cause permanent vision loss. So you need to consult an endocrinologist for the treatment of thyroid abnormality. Quit smoking (if you are a smoker) and keep follow your eye doctor to avoid complication that can cause permanent vision loss. You are welcome for any queries.

Also Read Answers From: Proptosis Hyperthyroidism Mri

What is the prognosis of CKD?
Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend is 35 years old. She is obese, exercises regularly and tries to watch her diet. In spite of these, she is prediabetic. Her fasting blood glucose is typically around 105 mg/dL. Her A1C is normally in the range of 5.7% to 6%. She takes Metformin to manage the prediabetes. Her...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi. Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Considering her prediabetes a cause of her proteinuria, yes, she would be categorized in stage 1 CKD (chronic kidney disease). However, that is very unlikely that such a prediabetes at this age is going to cause proteinuria. Yes, this is not...  Read Full »

Please suggest the future prognosis of a child with abnormal hemoglobin pattern.
Query: Hi doctor, My friend is going to adopt a 6 months old female child. Certain routine tests were performed on the child. I have attached the reports for your reference. The Hb electrophoresis for thalassemia screening is showing an abnormal hemoglobin pattern. The treating pediatrician is not sure abo...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Looking at the report of HbD trait (hemoglobin D), the prognosis is excellent. The child will be very rarely transfusion dependent and mostly asymptomatic. ...  Read Full »

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you attach the MRI images and upload it so that I can see it? For more information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now