Q. I have bulging eye problem for a year even after some treatment. Why?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I am facing bulging eye problem for a year. I am not able to sleep at night due to watery eyes. I went to the doctor, and he did an MRI and found that my eye muscles have enlarged. He gave the treatment for three months, but there was no benefit. He gave me Solu Medrol 500 mg then 250 mg injections for two months and some vitamin tablets. It is a severe problem. Please help me.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The condition you have described is called proptosis. The most common cause of proptosis is thyroid abnormality (hyperthyroidism) and called thyroid eye disease (TED). In this condition, eye muscle gets enlarged due to GAG (glycosaminoglycans) material deposition. This condition usually resolves after active and quiet phase that takes up to five to seven years.

During this time the actual cause is treated (hyperthyroidism) and for proptosis steroids may be given (that you have already taken). Enlarged muscles can compress the optic nerve and can cause permanent vision loss. So you need to consult an endocrinologist for the treatment of thyroid abnormality. Quit smoking (if you are a smoker) and keep follow your eye doctor to avoid complication that can cause permanent vision loss. You are welcome for any queries.

|