Q. How to manage mild fever and increased urinary frequency with prostate enlargement?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

The patient has some urological problems. For the past 12 days, he has been suffering from mild fever ranging from 96 to 99.2 degrees. His PSA is 7.21 and he urinates frequently. He is currently on Taxim O and Afdura for prostate enlargement.

#

Prostate enlargement is occurring in males after the age of 50 years. This enlargement can cause issues of obstruction and leads to infections, stones, and even kidney failure. Diagnosis is by history examination and ultrasound scan in addition to kidney function test (creatinine), urine analysis, culture, and PSA (prostate-specific antigen).

This patient has urine infection due to obstruction and this infection can cause fever and elevation of PSA. Afdura (Alfuzosin and Dutasteride) is the treatment of choice and is the maximum medical treatment that can be given. Apparently, medical treatment failed as the obstruction is still there which lead to complications like infection.

Treatment in this case is immediate admission to hospital and catheter insertion then starting of injectable antibiotics, intravenous hydration and check on kidney functions. Then repeating urine for culture 48 hours after starting of antibiotics. And repeating PSA once the infection is gone to check if normalized. Once no more infection and PSA is normal then endoscopic procedure is required to remove the blocking part of the prostate. Then the catheter can be removed after operation.

|