Q. Shall I take Septrin forte for prostate infection?

Dr. Raman Tanwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I have Morganella morganii infection in the prostate. For the past 15 years, I have been getting blood in semen. I had a short course of antibiotics in the past and I also had a semen microbiological test. Please recommend some antibiotics.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• For the infection in the prostate a four to six weeks course of treatment is highly recommended.
  • I suggest Cephalosporins and Aminoglycosides are the best for initial therapy, but ideally it should be guided by culture sensitivity reports. Consult your specialist doctor, get the culture done and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

My urologist has recommended a 10 day course of Septrin forte for every 12 hours, which is a Trimethoprim and Sulfamethoxazole combination antibiotic. But, I thought that I should get a second opinion from you before taking this. My laboratory test shows sensitivity to this antibiotic, but the duration of the treatment seems much shorter than you recommended. I am attaching my reports. My doctor said that he will do another semen laboratory analysis at the end of next month. My PSA test showed normal levels of 3.39 ng/mL. What should I do now? Please suggest me.

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• A four week course is recommended. Raised PSA (prostate-specific antigen) also may point to chronic infection.
  • There are no major side effects with a 7 day versus four week course and it will cover the suspected prostatic infection as well.
  • We can repeat the culture and the PSA test after four weeks, if everything goes well.

| 

Is my PSA raised? My urologist and blood test results say that it is normal at 3.39 ng/mL and the normal range is 0.0 to 4.0 ng/mL. I am attaching the blood test report. Please suggest me whether I should take the antibiotic prescribed by my urologist.

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• A PSA of 3.39 ng/mL is slightly on the higher side of normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Some countries take the normal value as 2.5 ng/mL. However, in the presence of infection, you do not need to be worried.
  • The Septrin forte (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) is a good antibiotic with excellent prostatic penetrance.
  • You can go ahead with this course for four weeks, if you have no history of allergy to sulfa drugs. We can repeat the culture sensitivity and S-PSA (serum prostate-specific antigen) after that.

| 

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my PSA and free PSA values. Kindly guide me.

Query: Hi doctor,On a recent visit to the doctor, my PSA was 4.7 and free PSA was 0.78. The prostate was swollen on the right side, but no bumps or nodes felt. I had another PSA test three weeks later and the result showed PSA 2.5 and free PSA 0.60. Under what percentage do the 0.78 and the 0.60 values fal...  Read Full »

Why is my husband having painless hematuria since a year?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband who is 36 years old, is having painless hematuria since last year. The episodes are not defined, it is present for a month or sometimes as less as a week. MRI, CT scan, and cystoscopy, all show normal findings except hyperemia in the bladder. There are stones in his kidney,...  Read Full »