Q. Kindly advise methods to manage urinary urge and incontinence.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

I have been suffering from urge and incontinence of urine for the past four years. My USG is showing first grade BPH with about 50 ml to 75 ml of PV retention of urine. PSA is within normal range. The routine urine examination also reveals nothing abnormal and on culture sample, found sterile. I have been taking Tamsulosin 0.4 mg and Dutasteride 0.05 mg tablets OD as per doctor’s prescription. There is relief in the passage of urine but the urge and incontinence still persist. At times I feel irritation in the pelvic region. Please help me with your valuable guidance in this context.

#

I have gone through your query. It is usual to have some degree of urgency in BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia), but if it continues to persist even after your urinary stream improves, then one should make sure that there is no UTI or chronic prostate infection causing the symptoms. If both are negative, a urodynamic study will show whether you actually have an irritable bladder. If yes, then bladder relaxants can be added provided that your residual urine on ultrasound is not more than 50 to 60 ml.

|