Q. Can diabetic medicine cause rise in creatinine level?

Dr. Mhetras Ganesh Nagesh

My aunt is 44 years old. Her reports are plasma glucose is 119 mg/dL, blood urea is 61 mg/dL and serum creatinine is 3.0 mg/dL. Doctor has told that, the medicine she has been taking for sugar is affecting her kidney. Please provide some advice. Thank you.

#

I would like to know whether your aunt is a long-standing diabetes patient.

Diabetes mellitus is a condition where ones sugar level is higher than normal and need to take medicines to bring to normalcy. If she has been a long-standing diabetes patient kidneys can get affected by diabetes itself.

• When was first time creatinine report abnormality detected? But, I will need more details before I give you any meaningful advice.
  • Do you have a past history of diabetes or hypertension? If any, please let me know their duration.
  • Kindly get a routine urine examination, ultrasound of kidneys as well as complete blood count.

Diabetes Mellitus.

1. Urine routine examination.
2. Ultrasound kidneys.
3. Eye checkup for diabetic retinopathy

Revert back with detailed information to a nephrologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

She has been taking medicine for blood sugar for 12 years and feels that, medicine has affected her kidney. Hence, she has started taking low dose insulin from yesterday. I have sent you more detailed report. Please guide.

#

After reviewing all her reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and additional information, following inference can be made.

• Diabetes is the most common cause of chronic kidney disease nowadays.
  • CKD is a disease where, kidneys functional ability is reduced and reflected as elevated creatinine. In her case, the cause is diabetes.
  • There are stages of CKD from 1 to 5 depending upon level of creatinine.
  • Stage 1 is earliest while in stage 5 patient may need dialysis.
  • Due to reduced kidney functions, kidneys cannot degrade anti-diabetic tablets, so insulin is preferred.
  • Avoid medicines which are likely to affect kidneys adversely like painkillers and certain antibiotics like Aminoglycosides.
  • Certain other medications are recommended to slow down further progression of this CKD.

Please consult nearby nephrologist (kidney specialist) for further physical evaluation and individualized treatment plan.

Diabetes.

Get these investigations done.
Serum calcium, phosphorus, serum bicarbonate and hemogram.

Chronic kidney disease (CKD) due to diabetic nephropathy.

1. Renal diet.
2. Medicines.
3. Counseling.

For further information consult a nephrologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|