Q. My routine urine examination showed 30 mg/L protein. Should I be worried?

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

I am a 66 year male, who is diabetic and hypertensive from the last 15 years. I am on Tazloc H, Cresar AM, Metformin, and Amaryl. Routine urine exam showed proteins 30 mg/L, micro albumin 94.97 mg/L, and pus cells 4 to 5 cells. What is the inference and advise?

#

• I will advise you to check UPCR (urine protein to creatinine ratio) and evaluate fundus for diabetic retinopathy or hypertension retinopathy. Thanks.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thank you for replying. Would you suggest a repeat urine analysis before UACR? Is this amount of protein worrisome? How soon should I be investigated in this scenario? I am attaching all my reports. Kindly advise.

#

• From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that kidney function is normal. Protein more than 300 mg/day is worrisome. To rule out the effect of diabetes on kidneys, check your retina because 70 % of retinopathy have nephropathy. And if the retina is normal, there are fewer chances of affection of kidney due to DM.
  • I will advise you to do 24-hour urine protein for better prediction, ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder), and renal artery Doppler.

Revert with the above information, and feel free to ask any query.

Revert with more information to a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|