Common "Prothrombin Time" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Prothrombin Time

Prothrombin time is a blood test that measures the time taken for the formation of a blood clot. It is used for checking bleeding problems. It is measured in seconds, and the normal prothrombin time is 11 to 13 seconds.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why do I have skin bruising and increased prothrombin time?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old male in good health and workout for four to five days a week. However, for the past year, I have had mild bruising on my skin and some red spots in my mouth, which is petechia. I had my blood test done a few years back, and it was all good. I consulted a doctor last ...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Usually, bruising like bleeding can be expected due to platelet problems or vascular causes like vasculitis. Sometimes vitamin C deficiency also can lead vasculitis like problem. But as you have mentioned that your PT (prothrombin test) has been prolonged, it could be s...  Read Full »

Kindly explain my blood results taken for red and purple dots in the body.

Query: Hello doctor, Can you, please, explain results? I also have clusters of red and purple dots all over my body and get winded easy. Results: Lupus Anticoagulant Comp. Dilute Prothrombin Time(dPT) 56.2 High sec 0.0 to 55.0 01, dPT Confirm Ratio 1.16 Ratio 0.00 to 1.20 01, thrombin time 18.1 sec 0.0 to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash. H. M.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You are having multiple petichae (red and purple - healing) spots all over the body (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are also getting winded possibly due to reduced hemoglobin. You were being evaluated for a possible lupus anticoagulant. Specific te...  Read Full »

I am getting a blood clot continuously in my left leg. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23-year-old female, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 190 lbs. Several months ago, I was diagnosed with factor II clotting disorder after getting a superficial blood clot in my left leg while on NuvaRing. I stopped the NuvaRing immediately at my doctor's request due to the estrogen. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have recurrent leg vein thrombosis. The cause is genetic, that is, prothrombin gene mutation. So, the prothrombin thrombosis is the main problem. I suggest you try taking Rivaroxaban or other anticoagulant drugs as a prophylactic drug if recurrent thrombos...  Read Full »

Can cocaine cause blood in urine?

Query: Hello doctor, My step daughter who is eight years old had belly pain, blood in anus and urine. Her organic father is a drug addict; we think he gave her Cocaine to eat. Would there be symptoms of having Cocaine? Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concerns. Single dose of Cocaine cannot cause the side effects of blood in urine and stool. If taken for large period then it can lead to above symptoms. It can be stomach infection or blood abnormality as blood is present in both urine and stool....  Read Full »

Are the red dots under my skin that come and go petechiae?

Query: Hi doctor,I have noticed red dots under my skin for the past few weeks. They come and go in different parts of my body. Yesterday I noticed a couple after wearing tight shoes. I am concerned about petechiae. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Petechiae are one to three millimeter in size and usually occur in ten or hundred in numbers. One to two spots are formed due to local compression on capillaries. For the evaluation of a hemorrhagic tendency, I suggest you get PT (prothrombin...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.