Prothrombin Time

What causes delayed wound healing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a traveler. Recently, I noticed that any of my cuts were taking a very long time to heal and are never fully recovering. They are leaving a small scar or discoloration. Initially, I thought that the cut did not heal as I was in the water every day for a few hours. Insect bites are t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cut seems to be healed now as most of it show scarring. Other than that, the marks appear from scratching the skin might be due to irritation. Also, the bite is clearly visible and does not look serious. Certain mosquitoes are more notorious for causing itching over ...  Read Full »

For a hemophiliac patient, it is necessary to receive coagulants for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: During any procedure bleeding time and clotting time that is prothrombin (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin time (APPT) are always evaluated and then only the procedure is done. If he has no clotting issues at present ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for uterine fibroids.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is suffering from painful uterine fibroids. She has also been diagnosed with hepatitis B. Please advice us regarding the operation for this uterine fibroids.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. The presence of multiple uterine fibroids causing pain or symptom warrants surgery to remove them. Presence of hepatitis B will not hinder from surgery. However, following investigations should be performed before surgery: Liver functio...  Read Full »

Kindly explain my blood results taken for red and purple dots in the body.

Query: Hello doctor, Can you, please, explain results? I also have clusters of red and purple dots all over my body and get winded easy. Results: Lupus Anticoagulant Comp. Dilute Prothrombin Time(dPT) 56.2 High sec 0.0 − 55.0 01, dPT Confirm Ratio 1.16 Ratio 0.00 − 1.20 01, thrombin time 18.1 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having multiple petichae (red and purple - healing) spots all over the body (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are also getting winded possibly due to reduced hemoglobin. You were being evaluated for a possible lupus anticoagulant. Specific te...  Read Full »

Can cocaine cause blood in urine?

Query: Hello doctor, My step daughter who is eight years old had belly pain, blood in anus and urine. Her organic father is a drug addict; we think he gave her Cocaine to eat. Would there be symptoms of having Cocaine? Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Single dose of Cocaine cannot cause the side effects of blood in urine and stool. If taken for large period then it can lead to above symptoms. It can be stomach infection or blood abnormality as blood is present in both urine and stool....  Read Full »

Why did I get blood when I blew my nose?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past five days, I have been having quite a bit of blood come up in my mucus when I blow my nose. My sinuses are sore and puffy. Today, my right cheek and right side of my nose have gone numb and tingling. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided and image provided, it is blood stained discharge with mucus. Hence, the possibility of acute sinusitis or rhinitis is present. Your workup should be done as follow. Rhinoscopy nose examination, PNS x-ray (paranasal sinus), CBC (...  Read Full »

Are bleeding through the nose and underskin common in Von Willebrand disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a Von Willebrand disease (vWD) type 3 patient. I am currently bleeding through my nostrils, having underskin blood spots and pain in my ankle. These symptoms are new to me. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Bleeding is known to occur through nostrils and also in muscles, under skin, etc. An evaluation of Von Willebrand factor (vWF) levels is necessary to rule out any serious quantitative deficiency. Before that bleeding t...  Read Full »

Is this treatment sufficient for stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, I had MR angiography of brain vessels. No flow of signals are noted in basilar and left posterior cerebral arteries. And a very minimal faint flow signal is noted in the right posterior cerebral artery. I have attached my MRA, current medication list and blood test reports for your refer...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachments as well as the MRA report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From these, I can find that the patient has suffered from a stroke. Stroke is actually a problem in brain that arises because the blood vessels supplying blood to the...  Read Full »

What causes bowel movement immediately after drinking whiskey?

Query: Hi doctor, I always get bowl movements in the evening immediately after I drink one or two pegs of whiskey. It has been happening daily for the past 2 or 3 years. The stool floats and dark brown in color. Last night, I got stomach pain and stools are very loose. I have mild fever too and I am now ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. As you already said about popliteal artery thrombosis, these people should not drink alcohol and stop smoking immediately. These loose stools are probably due to imbalance in gut bacteria and these things happen with pancreas ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for senile purpura?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a painless red spot which is about 4 mm in diameter on the top of the foot for about two months. I used various salves, which did not help me. I am taking tablet Warfarin and tablet Metoprolol.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it can be a purpuric patch. Your attachment is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Get your blood tested for platelet count, APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time), PT (prothrombin time) tests as you are taking tablet...  Read Full »