Q. What is my blood report for red and purple dots in the body showing?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda

Can you, please, explain results? I also have clusters of red and purple dots all over my body and get winded easy. Results: Lupus Anticoagulant Comp. Dilute Prothrombin Time(dPT) 56.2 High sec 0.0 − 55.0 01, dPT Confirm Ratio 1.16 Ratio 0.00 − 1.20 01, thrombin time 18.1 sec 0.0 − 20.0 01 . 02. Lupus Anticoagulant Reflex 01, PTT−LA 58.6 High sec 0.0 − 50.0 01, PTT−LA Mix 55.3 High sec 0.0 − 50.0 01, Hexagonal Phase Phospholipid 7.7 sec 0.0 − 8.0 01, dRVVT 46.3 sec 0.0 − 55.1 01, Lupus Reflex Interpretation Comment: 01. No lupus anticoagulant was detected. PTT−LA results are consistent with the presence of one or more factor−specific inhibitors. Since the dRVVT was within normal limits, the factors in question are VIII, IX, XI, XII and the contact factors. The dPT was extended but the dPT confirmatory ratio was normal. This is consistent with a deficiency or specific inhibition of one or more extrinsic pathway factors (VII, X, V, II or fibrinogen).

#

You are having multiple petichae (red and purple - healing) spots all over the body (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are also getting winded possibly due to reduced hemoglobin. You were being evaluated for a possible lupus anticoagulant. Specific test done for lupus anticoagulant like DRVVT is normal. PTT-LA is also another test which is specific for lupus anticoagulant. PTT- LA is prolonged while DRVVT is normal. In the other section PT is also abnormal.

The clotting mechanism in our body is divided into extrinsic and intrinsic pathways. Both end with the common pathway and finally clot formation. Totally 13 clotting factors are identified at present. To measure each pathways, specific tests are present. For intrinsic pathway - Factors 8,9,11,12 are usually evaluated. It is measured through a test called as activated partial thromboplastin time - APTT or PTT. For extrinsic pathway - Factors 7 is important. Extrinsic pathway is measured by prothrombin time (PT). Along with it both extrinsic and intrinsic join and form a common pathway which includes coagulation factors like 10, 5, 2 and fibrinogen.

As both PTT and PT are prolonged, they are possibly suspecting multiple factor deficiencies. It could be multiple or only common pathway defect as I mentioned earlier. Not to worry about this report. You are negative for most of the tests with mild variation in few tests. This is about your earlier report.

At present, in your latest report - Your factor assay, shows most of the values near normal limits. Even your PT and APTT are near normal. Possible mild thromobocytosis and leukocytosis could be commonly due to infection. Without an increased RBC count or hemoglobin, I would not suspect polycythemia vera (for which JAK-2 mutation is being evaluated). Increased neutrophil count usually suggest acute inflammation or infection. Not to worry at present about any clotting disorder. Low hemoglobin or malnutrition should be causing you being winded up easy. Red and purple dots are usually petechiae spots. Need to rule out any viral infections with superadded bacterial infections. Require more detiails, about how they started, since when, from which location and whether it is painful or is it changing colors to comment further.

|