Q. Should I be concerned about the petechiae that come and go under my skin?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2022 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2022

I have noticed red dots under my skin for the past few weeks. They come and go in different parts of my body. Yesterday I noticed a couple after wearing tight shoes. I am concerned about petechiae. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Petechiae are 1 to 3 mm in size and usually occur in ten or hundred in numbers. One to two spots are formed due to local compression on capillaries. For the evaluation of a hemorrhagic tendency, I suggest you get PT (prothrombin time), aPTT (activated partial thromboplastin time), BT (bleeding time), and platelet count as a screening test. Currently, I cannot find any clinical reasons to get worried.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for the reply. In your opinion, there is no need to perform screening tests unless I notice dots in a more significant number? I think checking things online made me anxious. Kindly help.

#

You have understood it correctly. Do not worry.

|