Q. Why am I continuously getting a blood clot in my left leg?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I am a 23 year old female, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 190 lbs. Several months ago, I was diagnosed with factor II clotting disorder after getting a superficial blood clot in my left leg while on NuvaRing. I stopped the NuvaRing immediately at my doctor's request due to the estrogen. My blood clot went away within a few weeks, but I got another clot in the same leg and spot about two months later. I went to a different doctor and she said it is not a big deal, and I do not have to go to the doctor every time I get a blood clot. That clot went away, but now a month and a half later, I have another clot in the same spot and it is fairly painful, although not red. It feels very similar to my previous clots. Should I go to the doctor or just wait for it to go away on its own? I wear compression socks, walk 45 to 60 minutes daily, drink a lot of water, gave up alcohol and caffeine, and take Aspirin daily. Why am I continuously getting a clot in the exact same spot?

#

• You have recurrent leg vein thrombosis. The cause is genetic, that is, prothrombin gene mutation. So, the prothrombin thrombosis is the main problem.
  • I suggest you try taking Rivaroxaban or other anticoagulant drugs as a prophylactic drug if recurrent thrombosis is the problem. You should consult a hematologist nearby for examination and discuss your treatment plan.

Take care. Hope this helps.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|