Q. How can I overcome pruritus ani? Please help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Oct 26, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 07, 2019

I have a skin condition. As per my research, it could be pruritus ani. But I am sure I would get a proper and accurate diagnosis from your end. I have a severe itchy bum and have been suffering from the same for almost eight years. I have never had the courage to consult a dermatologist in person because of the reason for a physical examination. All I am looking forward is a cure to it as it has been really disturbing lately. I would highly appreciate your suggestions.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I can understand your concerns as I have analyzed each detail that you have provided. I have managed lots of cases with matching condition and feel that you too will make good use of the information and suggestions.

1. First please get your stool tests done on three consecutive days.
  2. Need to wear loose undergarments made of thin cotton and dry up skin after every bath and whenever there is moisture.
  3. Use antibiotic and antifungal creams mixed in equal quantities to take care of any germs inhabiting the area.
  4. For now, no steroid creams need to be used. If you are using one, taper that off slowly till you are comfortable without one. This might lead to a temporary increase in discomfort but it is an absolute requirement.
  5. Have sufficient antiallergics like Levocetirizine once or twice a day to neutralize itching completely.
  6. The affected area need not be touched and for that above medication helps a lot plus there is a good contribution from one's determination too.
  7. Deworm your GI system with Albendazole or another suitable agent about which you can get advice from your physician.

I am sure the problem can be managed even though it might not be possible to do so in a matter of days. The key to treatment is to let the skin heal, remove any cause of irritation, and break the cycle of itch-scratch which is bound to have resulted in thickening of the affected skin.

I ensure that I will get the tests done and share the results with you.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

#

Please go ahead with the tests and maintain a positive attitude. You can manage the problem with hard work and guidance. Best wishes.

I had given a wrong dosage of Albendazole to my baby. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 1 year 2 months old. The doctor prescribed Albendazole 5 ml-5 ml two doses in half an hour interval but by mistake, I had given 10 ml-10 ml dose of Albendazole. So, is there any problem?  Read Full »

What should I apply for anal itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel very itchy around the anus. It feels like I need to press around the periphery for it to stop. There is no pain, just irritation. I have had hemorrhoids once before, but this is not the same. I do not feel any pimples or problems in opening bowel. I tried Glyvenol cream for a f...  Read Full »

My 6 year old daughter is very weak and refuses to eat. Can I give her Albendazole?

Query: Hi doctor,I have two kids, an 11 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. They both frequently complain about pain in their legs, which gets very severe many times and settles on giving them Paracetamol. I feel my daughter is very weak physically, and she refuses to eat everything except junk food...  Read Full »