Q. My 6 year old daughter is very weak and refuses to eat. Can I give her Albendazole?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Published on Jul 29, 2017

I have two kids, an 11 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. They both frequently complain about pain in their legs, which gets very severe many times and settles on giving them Paracetamol. I feel my daughter is very weak physically, and she refuses to eat everything except junk food and gets exhausted by any single activity. I am planning to give her Albendazole with Ivermectin. Please suggest further in this regard. Thanks and regards.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• Regarding the leg pain, it can be due to the growth of the bones and muscles in children. These generally settle down with time. Other reason can be vitamin D3 deficiency. So, consult a pediatrician for a check up. Any local cause can be identified after examining.
  • The reason for your daughter getting exhausted and not eating properly can be anemia or worm infestation. There can be other causes for exhaustion related to the heart and lungs, but they are rare.
  • You can give plain Albendazole 400 mg, single dose, to her. But, I suggest you take both your kids for a complete physical check up as the actual cause can be identified.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My son is 4.5 years old. He is complaining of a weird tickling feeling. Please help.

Query: Dear Doctor, My son is 4.5 years old. Since the last 2 months, he is complaining about a weird tickling feeling in stomach, penis and anus. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you give him deworming medicine regularly? These symptoms may sometimes indicate worms in the intestinal tract. Give him zentel syrup (it contains albendazole) 5mL at bedtime for 2 days. It is available as a 10ml bottle. Give 5ml on one night and the remaining 5ml on ...  Read Full

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  After going through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your Vitamin D level is very low, and lipid profile is minimally deranged. I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full

Why has my 11 month old baby not put on weight from the last three months?

Query: Hi doctor, My 11 month old baby has not put on any weight. Her weight is 6.5 kg now. She has been in the same weight with no increase from the past 3 months. She does not eat any other solid or semi-solid food except breast milk. Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Kishore
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The amount of food eaten would vary from child to child. Decreased intake, fussy child, and worm infestation are commonest causes for decreased weight gain. I would suggest a deworming for your baby. A single dose of Syrup Albendazole 400 mg will suffice. Also, I wo...  Read Full