Q. My 11 month old baby has not put on any weight. Her weight is 6. 5kg. Give me any advice.

Dr. Deepak Kishore
Published on Oct 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 13, 2018

My 11 month old baby has not put on any weight. Her weight is 6.5 kg now. She has been in the same weight with no increase from the past 3 months. She does not eat any other solid or semi-solid food except breast milk. Please advice.

Dr. Deepak Kishore

General Surgery Paediatric Surgery Paediatrics
#

The amount of food eaten would vary from child to child. Decreased intake, fussy child, and worm infestation are commonest causes for decreased weight gain.

1. I would suggest a deworming for your baby. A single dose of Syrup Albendazole 400 mg will suffice.
  2. Also, I would suggest an appetite stimulator and digestive Syrup Aristozyme 5 ml, thrice a day after food.

It is important that you start experimenting with a variety of food in your baby's diet. These will provide the calories, proteins, vitamins, and minerals that are essential for her growth. It is also important to note, not to force food on kids. Keep trying new recipes.

Most of the times it is "Try and Error" method. Lots of patience would be required to find out which are the diet, that tickles the child's taste buds which also contains maximum nutrients. You need to try multiple ones and find which your child loves to eat amongst those. Initially, it may be difficult from shifting to solid or semi-solid feed from milk-based diet. Continued perseverance and trying out what the baby likes is the key. Also, try to keep your baby's daily sugar intake to about less than 1 to 2 teaspoon, and use honey or palm sugar or palm jaggery to sweeten the dessert instead of sugar.

What could be the root cause for constipation in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, For past 3-4 days my son aged 4 years weighing 18 kg with a height of 105 cm has been suffering from constipation. He goes for potty multiple times (5-6 times) but it seems the stool is hard and it comes out in very little amount. We are giving him fruit juices and water often and ha...  Read Full »

What do you suggest for vaginal itching in a 3 year old?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter will be 3 by next month. There is itching in her vagina and she scratches it once or twice in a week. Her hygiene is good so far and we are not sure why this is happening. We have not done any deworming so far, and therefore, we are trying for that now. The moment we think ...  Read Full »

What is the dosage for Nemocid?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is three years old. He weights 11.6 kilograms. He is given Nemocid for every six months for disinfection. What is the dose of Nemocid for him now? The previous dose was 2.5 ml. If Nemoacid is not suitable, what is the other medicine advised for him? Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now