Q. I am suffering from scalp, finger and nail psoriasis. What is the treatment?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

Hello doctor.

I am a 35-year-old male with moderate obesity. I do not have any chronic ailments like diabetes, BP, etc. The skin on my inner groins (slightly close to the gluteal folds) has become dark over the years and due to constant friction between the inner thighs has developed dryness and cracked or scaly like (appear to be fissured) and is causing a lot of discomforts.

I have tried applying lubricant creams and anti-fungal ointments, but they do not seem to help. Since about a year ago I developed scalp psoriasis and fingers or nails psoriasis, I thought it could be the same on these areas of friction too. And tried applying Tacrolimus. Again it is not helping. Please advise.

#

I have gone through your case. Yes, it could be flexural psoriasis as you have psoriasis on two other body parts. Please apply clobetasol propionate ointment mix it with petroleum jelly or vaseline and use two times a day for 14 days. And apply Tacrolimus ointment at night for 14 days. Your treatment is more or less correct. But you need to know psoriasis plays hide and seek with patients. It often gets aggravated, particularly with stress and needs a repeated course with ointments. Try to avoid stress as much as you can.

|