Q. Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Seborrheic Dermatitis or Ketoconazole Shampoo? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however as the years went by I started experiencing debilitating neck pain paired with even worse migraines. I did stretching, physical therapy, chiropractor, and even medication, but nothing seemed to help. Last year, a pharmacy refused to refill my Tramadol. I was in such a debilitating pain that I went home and stared at where my headache was coming from, and I noticed my hair was growing funny in certain areas. So, I started to comb close to the scalp, and the hair that where my natural color started coming out of my scalp and pain started being relieved. I also noticed that rubberized glass was coming out of so many areas in my scalp. At this point, I could see all of the places where there was glass lodged and each time I shaved an area to get the glass out, the pain lessened in a way I will never even forget. I went and just shaved my head.

After a few months, my scalp is so itchy, flaky, scaly, and pieces of glasses are still making their way out. So, I went to see a dermatologist, who said it is seborrheic dermatitis, but I have used everything you could use for that (Clobetasol, Ketoconazole, apple cider vinegar, Prednisone, some topical cream, Salicylic acid shampoo, tar shampoo, coconut oil, etc.). But still, I have to shave my head because my scalp is still very messed up. I think my follicles are damaged, so aside from getting injections at a dermatologist office, what treatments are available for that? Do you have a specific shampoo you recommend for repairing follicles?