Q. Can someone with psychiatric problem enjoy married life?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

I am concerned about one of my relatives. She may have some psychiatric problems. First she faced a problem in her life before 10 years. She believes in different sociology and culture. She has a fantasy of smoking, drinking and living together. She does not believe in marriage. She becomes angry if someone tries to correct her. After that she had taken care by several doctors. But, the problems never uprooted. For one and a half year she is running through the treatment. She made the first visit only. After that her parents are visiting with those doctors. As a witness, I noticed some irrelevant behavior 10 days ago, which makes us very annoying. I have a chronological prescription. My only question is, at this moment is she able to enjoy her marriage life? If she gets married, will she able to get pregnant? Please describe the family life difficulties, including sex life. I will be very thankful to you.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I will summarize the clinically relevant aspects of her case.

The illness started early around the age of 17 years. It has not cleared completely until yet and she has not returned to her previous personality.

The symptoms are suggestive of paranoid schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, though more information and detailed history will be required to confirm it. These factors suggest a poor prognosis and incomplete recovery from the illness. Her future will be decided by how much her symptoms improve.

If she visits the psychiatrist regularly and takes electroconvulsive therapy if the doctor suggests, then her situation is likely to improve. But at the current situation, she does not appear to be mentally fit for marriage or children. Marriage is stressful in itself and she might not be able to handle the stress.

Though there is no direct effect of the disease on her ability to get pregnant, a mentally healthy mother is required to take care of herself during pregnancy and the baby after childbirth. She currently does not appear to be capable of handling the stress of pregnancy and childbirth.

Besides, pregnancy and delivery are stressful and might worsen her psychological condition. Also, the medicines that she takes might affect her ability to get pregnant and maintain a healthy pregnancy.

I would like to recommend a course of electroconvulsive therapy. It works better than most medicines in such cases.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Could these medicines cause any side effects on her sexual anxiety? We hardly feel any feelings against laugh and cry. Although I did not see her cry, laugh is also very rare in her case. Most of the time she becomes angry. So, she may not fit for the sexual relationship as well. Please give some light on these. Thanks again.

#

• These medicines affect the ability to feel pleasure. Since sexual acts are dependent on the ability to feel pleasure, many patients report sexual dysfunction while on psychotropic medicines.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|