Psychiatric Illness

Psychiatric illness is a range of mental health conditions that affect a person's mood, thinking, and behavior. Some of the examples are depression, anxiety, eating disorder, and schizophrenia. Psychiatric illness can be managed with medication and talk therapy.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My daughter is irritable and has rapid mood changes. Are these side effects of Hydrocortisone?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter has special needs. She had Cushing's syndrome and an adrenalectomy at the age of 8. She is now 31. She has had some psychiatric problems, and her current medication is 15 mg Hydrocortisone, 1 mcg Fludrocortisone, and 1.5 mg Risperidone daily. We have just taken her on holid...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I just read your query about your daughter. I must say that your daughter is rightly managed till now. These symptoms are not endocrine related. They are more related to the psychological condition, which is pre-existent. It is not easy to adjust anywhere else if one...  Read Full »

Are there any alternatives for SSRI medications for my anxiety issues?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder & panic issues and have been on Cipralex 10mg and Paroxetine CR 25 mg for the past eight years. The SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake Inhibitor) medications I take seem to help, but I still have anxiety and OCD (obsessive compuls...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasan Vazhoor Ramsingh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read and understood your query and can understand your concern. We have GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) agonists under the category of drugs called Benzodiazepines which are used for short-term management of anxiety symptoms but are not recommended for long-term use a...  Read Full »

How do I manage PTSD and bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PTSD and bipolar disorder type II and it is getting harder for me to function daily. I have already seen my health care provider. For this, she gave me a prescription and I still have the manic episodes.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. I would like to inform you that most of the psychiatric medications take too long to show effects on individuals. Since you were prescribed Risperidone just a week back, there is no need to wait for more time. Most pat...  Read Full »

Why does my 7-year-old son keep pulling his shirt?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 7, pulls his shirt constantly. He keeps his face that he does not realize what he is doing. Should I be concerned?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This seems to be an attention seeking behavior by your child. It occurs in those families where both parents are working. If your child does not have any other symptoms like convulsions, altered sensorium and delayed milestones, then there is probably no brain involvem...  Read Full »

Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatm...  Read Full »

Dr. Shreemit Maheshwari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I would refrain from using the term mad as we do not consider anybody mad. Psychiatric conditions are just like any other medical illness with proper treatment of each condition. It is common for family members of psychiatric patients to also have a psychiatric illne...  Read Full »

Can stopping psychiatric pills cause a change in my behavior?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 and was diagnosed with unspecified mood disorder when I was about 8 for constantly getting angry at my parents, but I behaved well at school and other places outside the house. When I was about 10, I started taking 2 mg of Risperidone once a day and 200 mg of Lamotrigine twice...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The diagnosis of mood disorders is not easily made at the age of 8 years but if you were given that diagnosis then there must have been a detailed assessment of yours. Coming to your questions, our mood, thoughts, and behavior is controlled by certain chemicals in our b...  Read Full »

I am experiencing anxiety, insomnia and over thinking with less emotion for humans and more attachment for animals. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am not a type of completely emotionless person. I was feeling sad and anxious after my dog died as I am more emotional towards the animals. I am very selfish by using the people for my own benefit. I used to have fun and manipulate people and never felt anything bad about what I am d...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurav Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. I suggest you not to make self diagnosis based on the net sources, tests, and symptoms. It seems you are suffering from mood swings and depression. So, I suggest you consult a specialist. I suggest you get out a...  Read Full »

I had subdural hematoma after I met with an accident, but I was often thrown into dreams and snapped back to reality. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a subdural hematoma brain injury from an accident and short-term memory loss. But my question is when I was riding down the road, and doing makeup, all of a sudden I snapped into a dream that was so surreal and it was like I am at my grandparent's house talking to family and just jo...  Read Full »

Dr. Darshan Kanani

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to You should be worried about your subdural hematoma when you get a severe headache or nausea, vomiting, or any minor head trauma. The episode you described is a hallucination. Also, you have short-term memory loss. Both signs suggest early-onset dementia. Here is ...  Read Full »

I cannot concentrate on my work and feel stressed when I cannot finish my tasks. How can I train my mind to manage all the tasks without being stressed?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel stressed about small things. I want to finish all my daily tasks within my planned time. When I miss doing them, my mind gets irritated, and I cannot concentrate on my other tasks. I want myself to be perfect, but I cannot be perfect. Every day goes like this, and my mind is not...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. Thinking and getting stressed will waste your time and energy. Just love your imperfection and try to improve it but do not force yourself. Otherwise, you will be stressed out. Keep an achievable schedule daily. D...  Read Full »

How to control anger?

Query: Hi doctor, I have anger management issues and I am physically abusive in my relationship. I do not know how to control this and really need professional help. I cannot live without my girlfriend. I love her so much. Am I supposed to consult a psychologist or a psychiatrist? What am I supposed to do...  Read Full »

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to What you are describing sounds like intermittent explosive disorder which is an impulse control disorder. In it, there are explosive anger outbursts during which your anger makes you do and utter things which you repent after the episode. It is treated with medicines...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.