Q. Is psychological disorder genetic?

I firmly believe that psychological disorders can come through genes. My mother had schizophrenia. I am so worried that I can also have it. I am depressed in the evenings daily, and I have lost a lot of joy in my life with feelings. I am thinking about the psychological disorders every day. Please suggest some medication or counseling.

#

Psychiatric disorders including schizophrenia do not follow a direct mendelian inheritance, and they have multifactorial etiologies. If your mother has schizophrenia, then you have an increased risk of having schizophrenia or other psychiatric disorders. But that risk is not very high. So stop remaining anxious. You are repeatedly thinking about psychiatric disorders, and it is due to anxiety. You do not have schizophrenia. Just stay relaxed and spend your time in constructive activities and you will be alright.

|