Q. How can a person with PTSD, depression and anxiety be treated?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jun 18, 2019

What is your recommendation for someone with PTSD, depression, and anxiety?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

If a person is suffering from PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), depression and anxiety, they will probably need a combination of medication and psychological therapy to manage their condition. Lexapro (Escitalopram) is a good antidepressant that can be helpful in this situation. Based on more clinical information and formulation, psychological therapy can be considered.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) will be helpful in addressing depression and anxiety. If PTSD is the predominant primary condition, trauma-focused CBT or EMDR can be considered. Kindly discuss with your doctor locally. Also ensure, you follow the necessary self-help measures like healthy eating, adequate sleep, regular exercise, avoiding alcohol, etc. You can contact again if any further advice is needed.

What can be done to control PTSD and bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PTSD and bipolar disorder type 11 and it is getting harder for me to function daily. I have already seen my health care provider. For this, she gave me a prescription and I still have the manic episodes.  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article