Q. Am I having a heart problem or PTSD?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have already talked to my very own Cardiologist but have not really gotten much. They just told me I have been having a lot of tachycardia lately but with a normal rhythm. They told me I should be fine but I feel I am not. Three months back, I had gone into cardiac arrest due to a drug overdose when I got a laced pill full of Fentanyl when I tried to get the old medication I was once prescribed, Adderall. It took 12 mg of Naloxone to bring me back to life. Then about six months ago I had an ER visit because I decided to take what I thought was MDMA with some friends for a party. I do not take drugs anymore. The drug test only came back for Amphetamine and I took around 200 mg of the drug Methamphetamine. I started to go into cardiac arrest again but was luckily brought back to normal levels. It was a scary experience which haunts me now causing anxiety whenever I notice my heart rate go up. Three months ago I started to display worse symptoms. My cardiologist only put me on a heart monitor for three weeks but said I had a lot of tachycardia with a normal rhythm. I am not quite sure whether it is just anxiety or if my heart may actually have problems. I am only 18 but I feel these close calls might have put a toll on my heart. I just need somewhat of an answer on whether these experiences could have caused one term problems to my heart at my age. I do not do any drugs anymore. I vape but that is all. I get chest pains through the day and sometimes will get light headed and cannot think clearly. I will space out and not pay attention to anything else around me. I am worried it is a heart problem or could be PTSD cause from those events. Any information will help.



Welcome to

Likely it is an anxiety only causing you tachycardia. If possible please attach your reports like monitoring report, and echo if you have. Echo will tell us whether there are any residual effects on the heart of your previous problems. You should get a thyroid test done to rule out hyperthyroidism if did not have recently. You may use a portable monitor which is a mobile-based portable system to keep watch over heart rhythm. It is better you get started on Ciplar which is a beta-blocker that help to control heart rate and anxiety. Consider regular exercises to tone your heart.

For more information consult a cardiologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have tachycardia and dyspnea at night. Why?

.. and dyspnea at night are also called paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea. These are indicators of cardiac disease. Few basic tests of cardiology should be done to rule out coronary artery disease or congestive cardiac failure or arrhythmia. 2 D echocardi...   Read full

Kindly tell a permanent cure for hypothyroidism.

Hello doctor, My wife is having hypothyroidism ... Well, she does seem to have hypothyroidism ...   Read full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

that worsens with life stressors with the occurrence of negative life events ... stress of GAD ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Missed Miscarriage - An Overview
Sometimes a miscarriage occurs without knowledge, as typical signs may be absent. This is called a missed miscarriage. L...  Read more»
H3N2v Influenza - Treatment and Prevention
Management and prevention of an Influenza A virus variant include various treatment options and measures. The below arti...  Read more»
Flu A - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
The flu, or influenza, is a contagious viral infection that attacks the respiratory system. Flu A and B viruses are resp...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.