Q. I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, depression and started noticing blackouts. Kindly advice.

Dr. K V Anand
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Hello Doctor,

I recently consulted a counsellor suggested by my probation officer and discovered that I have extreme post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression, etc. I wonder if any of this could be related to the trouble I have got myself into. When I get very overwhelmed with emotion or stress, I tend to black out completely but still functioning, and I come back to normal after a few minutes, but I have no memory of what I have done during those minutes.

In my whole life, I had a lot of bad things that have happened to me and my family, but I have never dealt with them. This past year a lot of bad personal situations have happened, and now I am starting to notice the blackouts. What can I do?

Do you have a question on Ptsd or Depression?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. K V Anand

PHD PSYCHOLOGY., MSC PSYCHOLOGY., MS PSYCHOTHERAPY., MD (AM
Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology

You should get yourself investigated for the blackouts and memory problems you face. First, you should consult a neurologist for that. Once every other neurological issue are cleared, then only we can diagnose whether it as related to your anxiety, depression or PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) if so then it is psychogenic.

In most cases, a psychogenic blackout is an involuntary reaction of the brain to pressure or distress. Psychogenic blackouts sometimes develop after people have experienced ill-treatment or trauma and such conditions are treatable and curable. But we need to identify the severity of anxiety and PTSD and then the treatment slowly starts with medicines, psychotherapy and relaxation therapy. You can be cured completely, but it takes some time. Consult a psychologist or psychiatrist. Take care.

Also Read Answers From: Ptsd Depression Anxiety

Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full »

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities
Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity.  Read Article »
Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co ...  Read Article »

Postpartum Depression
Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress ...  Read Article »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now