Q. Can Hyaluronic acid, Collagen and Vitamin C creams help in dark circles and puffy eyes?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

I want to ask about dark circles and puffy eyes. Should I treat them with Hyaluronic acid + collagen + vitamin C creams? As under eye area is very delicate and we tend to lose collagen in this area as we age and if yes, then please suggest some best creams to treat these deficits as do not want to go for laser and fillers. Do tell me some natural masks to be used at home too. How much time will it take for my area to get perfect and smooth with these creams and natural methods?

#

I understand your concern about periorbital melanosis, dark circles with puffiness. Please be aware of the causes that predispose the condition.

1. Hereditary.

2. Oversleeping leading to fatigue.

3. Lack of sleep leading to fluid build up.

4. Eye strain due to increased screen time.

5. Increasing age leading to collagen changes.

6. Allergy or atopy.

7. Overexposure under the sun.

8. High fatty meals.

Please avoid and manage the possible triggering factors for better results.

Any hyper or hypo skin pigmentation would take anywhere around 6-12 months for recovery with topical medications. For faster, better results you need to opt for cosmetic procedures. Since you are not in favor of fillers and Botox, you can try chemical peeling with AHAs (alpha-hydroxy acid), microneedling and PRP (platelet-rich plasma).

As topical therapy, you can continue with the HA under eye serum. Serums are better than creams as they have better permeability and penetration. Use Kojic acid or Azelaic acid once daily followed by the application of a sunscreen with SPF not less than 30. Capsule Antioxidant HC once daily for 30 days.

Also follow some general measures like apply green tea bags, cold compresses, elevation of head end while lying down to decrease the fluid retention.

Drink a minimum of eight glasses of water. An apt sleep-wake cycle. Maintain a healthy weight and exercise routine.

|