Q. I am having pulmonary embolism. How to manage it?

Dr. Harsha D. S

Around 45 days ago, I noticed blood in sputum. I consulted a doctor. He advised me to do a CT scan. The report suggested the pulmonary embolism. In the treatment, they gave me blood thinner injection and tablets. They examined me and found out that there are no blood clots in any part of my body. I do not have any history of injury and surgery.

#

There are a lot of causes for pulmonary embolism. The common reason being the clots in the leg called as deep venous thrombosis. It can be due to long-term immobility, and prolonged surgery. When there are no clots in the body, we have to check for any deficiency in blood clotting factors.

When doing all the investigations, we cannot be able to find the cause for 40 % of patients. If there is no cause, we can keep you under regular checkup. Blood thinners are usually given for six months. But it may be extended for a few periods when there are risk factors present.

|