Q. Why did I notice fibrosis in my X-ray even though I do not have any symptoms?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I did my pre-employment exam a few months back, and they saw some fibrosis in my X-ray. However, this still needs to be confirmed. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any sputum since I do not have any cough even until now. Is there any other way for me to know what I have?

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have fibrosis on the left upper lung according to your X-ray report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The causes for the fibrosis are previously healed tuberculosis.

As you have no cough, so sputum for AFB (acid-fast bacillus) is not possible. So you can go for other tests like the Mantoux test, HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) of the chest, etc. Again, CT-guided FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) or biopsy from the lung's fibrotic lesion will confirm everything. So you can undergo CT-guided FNAC or biopsy.

You should undergo the above-mentioned investigations to find out the underlying causes for your fibrosis and then treat them accordingly.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

Thank you doctor.

The cause for fibrosis was never confirmed. Even my doctor said it was not TB because the result came out positive. Are those tests available in my country?

#

Thanks for joining again.

Such types of lung fibrosis can be caused by factors other than latent TB. These are environmental pollutions like silica, asbestos, etc., pneumonia due to bacterial, viral, or fungal infections, allergies, certain medications, interstitial lung disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, etc. As you had no cough, fever, weight loss, night sweats, loss of appetite, so there is the least chance of developing TB. Yes, the Mantoux test is available everywhere. And if there is the setting of undergoing CT scan, then CT-guided FNAC or biopsy will be possible too. If CT-guided FNAC or biopsy is not possible, then you can undergo USG-guided FNAC or biopsy from the lung fibrotic area. And as USG (ultrasound) is available everywhere, so USG-guided FNAC or biopsy will be available too.

Take care.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

|