Q. Kindly suggest medicines to manage pulmonary artery hypertension patient.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

My mother is 48 years old and she is suffering as a PAH patient. Her doppler comments are E/A ratio is reversed TR, MR is seen and the conclusion is severe TR or severe PAH and preserve left ventricular functions. Dilated RA/RV and she had HRCT and opinion is severe thoracic scoliosis with secondary lumber curve, pulmonary artery hypertension with bilateral perihilar interstitial edema cardiomegaly and current medicine used is Clopidogrel and Asprin, Digoxin, Bosentan, Ramipril ACE, Furosemide, Budesonide, Salbutamol, etc., but her recovery is nil. Please suggest the best medicine for her.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Honestly speaking, she is having irreversible diseases. Her lung functions are not good, similarly, pulmonary artery hypertension is also bad. She is having fixed spinal deformity so it is impossible to revert this with drugs. So the best treatment for her would be home oxygen therapy along with other drugs. She can take Tadalafil along with Bosentan for better control of PAH (pulmonary artery hypertension). Do let me know if she is already taking home oxygen. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your mother.

| 

Are my symptoms typical of an asthma patient?

Query: Hello doctor, A  couple of months ago, I started feeling tightness in chest, shortness of breath, and overall fatigue. I went to a walk-in clinic, they did an EKG, and everything was fine. They asked me to follow-up with a physician. The nurse conducted a complete blood test and a chest x-ray, and ...  Read Full »

Side Effects of Methotrexate (Anti-Rheumatic) Oral

Article Overview: This article speaks about the side effects of the drug methotrexate which is used to treat 'Rheumatoid Arthritis' Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Rheumatologist

Methotrexate, an antifolate agent, synthesized in 1948, is a commonly used medicine for certain cancers and rheumatoid arthritis (since 1970, after it was realized that it prevents joint deformity and by precluding the progression of bony erosion).The drug, in low doses as well as high doses is know...  Read Article

Can a cardiac MRI show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding cardiac MRI. I have one biannually because I have congenital heart disease. My question is whether or not that type of imaging shows pictures of the lungs and, if so can it show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension? I had a heart cath seven years a...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now