Q. Is it normal to have numbness and toothache after pulpectomy?

Dr. Shwetha Hegde
Published on Mar 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I had pulpectomy on a lower left tooth two days ago. I am still in pain and the outside of my chin and lower lip is still numb. The dentist told me I would not be in any pain after the procedure, but it is still hurting. I had Ibuprofen 200 mg four times a day. Is this normal to have numbness and to have pain in the tooth?

#

As I see this, there are two issues here. Firstly, the pain in your lower left tooth could be due to a couple of reasons.

Whenever there is infection of the pulp, the infection spreads beyond the tip of the tooth; it extrudes the tooth out of its socket within the jaw. When this happens the tooth is painful especially when it touches the opposing upper tooth.

The other reason for tooth pain could be that the entire infected pulp was not removed. Either way, you need to go back to your dentist. The second issue here is the numbness of your chin and lower lip. This usually happens when the nerve in the lower jaw gets nicked by the needle while giving the local anesthetic.

If the damage is minor, the nerve repairs itself and the normal sensation will return. If numbness persists after two to three months, then you need to consult your doctor.

I drank cold drinks before going to my dentist. Could it prevent my tooth from getting numb?

Query: Hi doctor, I broke a tooth, so I went to the dentist, and I was very upfront about not having a root canal treatment. I preferred to get it extracted rather. She numbed my tooth and said she was going to fix it. After she had finished, she said I was going to need a root canal treatment. Now my too...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Failure of local anesthesia can be due to causes like poor quality of the anesthetic solution, a poor technique of administration, localized infection in the tooth, abscess formation, certain mutations, etc. Drinking few cold drinks has no effect on anesthesia. So, my sug...  Read Full

Why does my penis feel numb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My height is 190 cm and weight is 85 kg. I do exercise with weights regularly. I have noticed that I have reduced feeling in the skin on my shaft. I cannot feel normal touch, but I can feel the pain if I pinch it with my nails. To best describe it; it feels li...  Read Full >>

Dr. Raman Tanwar
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a localized numbness that we are bothered with. Disease starting from this region without any other associated symptoms is quite rare and without them we may not think of a systemic pathology right away. Have you tried nerve tonics? I suggest back strength...  Read Full

Can I undergo surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma under local anesthesia?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 60 year old healthy female with medically controlled hypertension. I have Behcet’s disease, though mostly under control. I have had various tropical diseases. I also had hepatitis A at childhood, and TB meningitis. I also have scoliosis.  I have been diagnosed BCC (Basal...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should ask your surgeon the reason behind giving general anaesthesia in your case. Basal cell carcinoma is a locally invasive tumour with very rare chances of malignancy. The need for general anesthesia can arise when on clinical examination it was found that the...  Read Full