A pulpectomy is an endodontic procedure of removing the pulp and filling the teeth with a bio-absorbable material. It is usually done in the primary tooth. It is advised to prevent the loss of milk tooth that is destroyed by extensive caries or trauma. It is a single visit procedure. In a pulpectomy, an absorbable material is placed, whereas a temporary filling is placed in root canal treatment followed by a crown.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My 4-year-old daughter has an infected tooth with pain. Does it require extraction?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At 4 years, we never advise getting the tooth extracted. If the tooth is infected, we perform a procedure called as pulpectomy. Here we remove the infected portion of the pulp, and replace it with a filling or place a small crown to save the tooth until the patient is...  Read Full »

My 2-year-old son's teeth remain exposed and sensitive to cold drinks. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 2 year old son, who was born through a c-section. One out of his six teeth is actively disintegrating. The enamel has come off, and the inner part of the tooth is exposed and sensitive to cold drinks. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms look like that of an early childhood caries (nursing bottle caries), which is commonly due to more sweet in the baby's diet and poor maintenance of oral hygiene. I would suggest you take an OPG (orthopantomography), an x-ray of all the teeth. The treatment...  Read Full »

Is it wise to extract a decayed molar tooth in a 5-year-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, This is for my 4.5-year-old son. His lower first molar has decayed and developed an abscess. Our dentist recommended to get it pulled and root canal should not be done. I want to check if that is the right approach, and can a spacer be avoided if it pulled out eventually?  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, such milk teeth can be saved by doing pulpectomy (similar to RCT) and then putting a metal crown over it to prevent further decay. Consult a pedodontist who does it. It is better to avoid removing the tooth at this age. If you decide to get it removed, the...  Read Full »

My 2.9-year-old son has problem in upper four teeth. Is RCT recommended in this age?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2.9 years old and has a problem in the upper four teeth (x-ray attached) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (root canal treatment) as they are very much decayed. So I just wanted to confirm the same.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the x-ray. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If the child is cooperative and can sit through the procedure then it is fine to have pulpectomy procedure i.e. root canal treated. If your child does not have any pain or swelling and the to...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain after pulpectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulpectomy on a lower left tooth two days ago. I am still in pain and the outside of my chin and lower lip is still numb. The dentist told me I would not be in any pain after the procedure, but it is still hurting. I had Ibuprofen 200 mg four times a day. Is this normal to have numb...  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetha Hegde

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I see this, there are two issues here. Firstly, the pain in your lower left tooth could be due to a couple of reasons. Whenever there is infection of the pulp, the infection spreads beyond the tip of the tooth; it extrudes the tooth out of its socket within the jaw...  Read Full »

Can RCT be peroformed in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2.5 years old daughter had a fall around 6 to 7 months back and one of her front teeth was chipped. At that time, it looked fine and till now, she had no pain or any sensitivity issues in eating. But off late, the color of the chipped tooth has turned green. We consulted two dentis...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I got your chief complaint and opinions of two dentists. As far age is concerned, your daughter still is in need of these teeth as permanent teeth take time to erupt, by 6 to 7 years they will erupt. Till then, healthy front teeth are important otherwise she will devel...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get root canal treatment in milk teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4 years old. He was only on milk diet till three years. His eight teeth got brown color, when we went to the doctor he suggested for cleaning and filling for six teeth but for two teeth, he suggeested for RCT. My son never complained about pain or swelling. Do we really need ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is called pulpectomy procedure, not proper root canal treatment as done in adults. Those milk molars have to stay till 10 years of age at least. So, if you want to prevent breakdown of teeth and pain in near future, it is necessary.  Read Full »

Why is there a recurrent pus from the gums of a child even after taking antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old child has caries on teeth. Since one year we observed pus in the gums above the front tooth. This pus frequently appears with mild pain and disappears within no time. We consulted a doctor who prescribed antibiotic Mox Kid for a week. After using this, again pus was foun...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can see in attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), actually, there are multiple apical infections. I suggest you please ask your dentist for dental X-ray, to find out the number of injected teeth and I think you need root canal treatment...  Read Full »

How to save a tooth with gum abscess in a 3 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a child who is three years old. He has an abscess on his gums above his front tooth. X-rays are taken, and the dentist wants to pull out the tooth. He says that the roots are gone. So there is no need to keep it. The tooth appears perfect when you look. Is it possible to give him ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since your child is only three years old, so the chances of root resorption are low which means that his roots must be intact. If the root is intact, then you can go for the procedure called pulpectomy, which can save the tooth. Even the antibiotics can help him for the...  Read Full »

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pulpectomy is suggested as the front milk tooth has to remain at the position for about 7 to 8 years till the permanent tooth comes out. Else, the growth will be affected. If the kid cannot remain calm then extraction is possible. For more information consult a den...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.