Pulpectomy

Why do I have pain after pulpectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulpectomy on a lower left tooth two days ago. I am still in pain and the outside of my chin and lower lip is still numb. The dentist told me I would not be in any pain after the procedure, but it is still hurting. I had Ibuprofen 200 mg four times a day. Is this normal to have numb...  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetha Hegde

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I see this, there are two issues here. Firstly, the pain in your lower left tooth could be due to a couple of reasons. Whenever there is infection of the pulp, the infection spreads beyond the tip of the tooth; it extrudes the tooth out of its socket within the jaw...  Read Full »

Can RCT be peroformed in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2.5 years old daughter had a fall around 6 to 7 months back and one of her front teeth was chipped. At that time, it looked fine and till now, she had no pain or any sensitivity issues in eating. But off late, the color of the chipped tooth has turned green. We consulted two dentis...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I got your chief complaint and opinions of two dentists. As far age is concerned, your daughter still is in need of these teeth as permanent teeth take time to erupt, by 6 to 7 years they will erupt. Till then, healthy front teeth are important otherwise she will devel...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get root canal treatment in milk teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4 years old. He was only on milk diet till three years. His eight teeth got brown color, when we went to the doctor he suggested for cleaning and filling for six teeth but for two teeth, he suggeested for RCT. My son never complained about pain or swelling. Do we really need ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is called pulpectomy procedure, not proper root canal treatment as done in adults. Those milk molars have to stay till 10 years of age at least. So, if you want to prevent breakdown of teeth and pain in near future, it is necessary.  Read Full »

Why is there a recurrent pus from the gums of a child even after taking antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old child has caries on teeth. Since one year we observed pus in the gums above the front tooth. This pus frequently appears with mild pain and disappears within no time. We consulted a doctor who prescribed antibiotic Mox Kid for a week. After using this, again pus was foun...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can see in attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), actually, there are multiple apical infections. I suggest you please ask your dentist for dental X-ray, to find out the number of injected teeth and I think you need root canal treatment...  Read Full »

How to save a tooth with gum abscess in a 3 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a child who is three years old. He has an abscess on his gums above his front tooth. X-rays are taken, and the dentist wants to pull out the tooth. He says that the roots are gone. So there is no need to keep it. The tooth appears perfect when you look. Is it possible to give him ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since your child is only three years old, so the chances of root resorption are low which means that his roots must be intact. If the root is intact, then you can go for the procedure called pulpectomy, which can save the tooth. Even the antibiotics can help him for the...  Read Full »

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pulpectomy is suggested as the front milk tooth has to remain at the position for about 7 to 8 years till the permanent tooth comes out. Else, the growth will be affected. If the kid cannot remain calm then extraction is possible. For more information consult a den...  Read Full »

Can RCT be done for a 5-year-old child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 years old son has a problem in one tooth (second last on down left side ) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (root canal treatment). I have attached the pictures to this query. Here are my questions: Can RCT (root canal treatment) be done for a 5-year-old child? Will it affect...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This tooth is a milk tooth which will fall off in around 10 to 11 years of age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, till then to save it, you have to do a root canal treatment. Root canal treatment can be done on a child if he is cooperative or at le...  Read Full »

My kid's pulpectomy could not be completed as she was screaming. Will it bleed?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter underwent a root canal. She is 4. The dentist tried to do it with gas and numbing it. She sat well through the drilling, then when he was doing the pulpectomy, she screamed and choked and flailed around. The dentist seemed unable to handle it all and he said she had a hype...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal for the pulp to bleed profusely when it is a little enlarged inside, like a polyp. The dentist could have easily managed her, had he given a local anesthesia (just a drop would have numbed it) directly inside the pulp when doing the root canal treatment....  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get my son's dental treatment done under GA?

Query: Hello doctor, My son, 2 years and 10 months, has been suggested RCT (pulpotomy). Background: My son is breastfed and still feeds during sleep. He has complained of pain once or twice in the last three to four months. His oral habits are not good. He cries his heart out when we brush his teeth (norma...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the image sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, the molar tooth is exposed and needs pulpotomy. You need to brush his teeth more often, especially at night before sleep. Use a finger brush which can be worn on your fingers and u...  Read Full »