Q. Can Seroquel withdrawal cause loss of sensation in penis?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2019

I finally withdrew from the drug called Seroquel. But now my penis has no sensation at all. I have much more arousal meaning my sex drive is back. But it is as though 90 % of the sensation is gone. While on Seroquel, I had more, but I stopped the medicine due to many bad side effects. It has been two weeks since my last dose.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Seroquel is Quetiapine, and the drug is an antipsychotic and mood stabilizer drug. In high doses in some individuals the drug is known to result in side effects like reduced libido, sometimes delayed ejaculation, difficulty in orgasm, etc. But Quetiapine is one of the safer antipsychotics if we compare this drug with other antipsychotic drugs.

The possible explanation of reduced sensation on the penis could be mild withdrawal, which might result in numbness like symptoms, and this may present with symptoms like reduced sensation around the penis. But the dose you were taking that is 50 mg is not a very high dose. Stopping this would not result in much withdrawal except mild insomnia.

If we link this with sexual side effects of Quetiapine or Seroquel, then this will reverse by own in coming days. In most cases, sexual side effects go by own in less than four weeks of stopping the offending drug. You were not on a very high dose so that the recovery would be earlier. Prolactin levels increase seen with antipsychotic use (in high doses for a long duration, but some individuals even in low dosage). The standards will normalize in some days, and this will result in an improvement of sensation on the penis. No need to worry, and at this point nothing should be done because your erection is relatively better now, this means libido is improving.

I was on a massive dose of 900 mg for five years. I have been on the 50 mg dose for about five years. 900 for insomnia was too much. And I am sleeping now with Melatonin. I was taken off the 900 mg around 10 years ago. Because my new doctor said, I have no psychosis.

I am getting a lot of random erections since I stopped. But I will say withdrawal has been not fun. I lost six pounds in two weeks, and my vision seems better. I was also on SSRI until this winter for many years. I have been sexless or not able or wanting sex with these drugs. But the Lexapro was making the mania worse and strange thing a few weeks ago. I was able to, although with quite a bit of effort to ejaculate. And it was semi-normal. It has been, frustrating the past two weeks since my sex drive is back and not able to relieve myself.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Since you were on SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), it that can result in an additive effect on sexual dysfunction. You may ejaculate and have random erection so the sensation too will improve in the coming days. No need to get worried.

I was able to ejaculate until 14 days ago, which is the day I finished my taper from 50 mg extended release. It is just a strange thing, and I would have thought it would have been much easier. I guess my body and hormones are re adjusted. I was also starting to grow moobs meaning enlarged breasts Which I came to know from prolactin, and it has gone away in just 14 days.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Yes, most likely, the levels are normalized now. In antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia, usually, drugs are not given. Stopping the offending medication helps.

Since I suffer from anxiety, I always fear the worst. But being bipolar and finally finding the right cocktail took many years. And I think for a long time I was overmedicated.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology

I have premature ejaculation after getting circumcised. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I had phimosis, so I got circumcised two years ago. But now, I have premature ejaculation after circumcision. I also have loss of sensation in my penis. Before circumcision, I enjoyed masturbating, but now I do not feel such enjoyment. What can I do? Was the decision to get circumcised wro...  Read Full »

Can masturbation cause numbness in penis?

Query: Hello Doctor I am a 30 year old male, married for 2 years. I do not smoke or drink. There is no medical history. My penis is circumcised from childhood. The problem which I am facing is that I do not feel any sensation in my penis glans at the time of sex or while masturbating.In normal state, my p...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now