Q. Is using nicotine gum the correct way to quit smoking?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 16, 2022

I am 19 years old. I have a habit of smoking from the last one year. I tried to quit smoking. But, it is not possible. Is it correct to use nicotine gum?

#

Trying to quit smoking is a very good idea and since you have only been smoking for a year, quitting now will be much easier than doing it any later. Nicotine gum and lozenges are both good replacements and have proven to be effective. Normally, side effects may occur some times such as:

1. Rapid heart rate or pounding in the chest.
  2. Nausea.
  3. Hurting jaw or teeth.
  4. Dizziness.
  5. Sometimes diarrhea.

But if you keep to the recommended dose, you should get minimal side effects. Also, make sure you give at least an hour or two in between two pieces (2 mg piece). The long-term use is not recommended and you should also bring down the dose gradually.

Hope this helps.

|