Q. Are tetanus and rabies vaccine sufficient for scratch by a stray dog?

Dr. Y. Siva Roja

I had my thumb accidentally scratched (small to be precise) by a stray dog. While there was no blood, a small scratch remained. I took only one dose of the rabies vaccine and a tetanus injection. Is that alright?

#

Scratches on any region of the body by a rabies animal or suspected rabies animal need to be treated with a five-dose schedule of Rabipur (inactivated rabies virus vaccine) on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28. And if that scratch is on regions like head, neck, shoulder, arms, and hands, it must be treated with an additional human rabies immunoglobulin injection (within seven days of the first dose of vaccine) in addition to a five-dose schedule of Rabipur.

You have not mentioned how long it has been since you have been bitten and taken the first dose. You should check with your local physician and discuss regarding further doses of vaccine.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|