Q. Accidentally, dog's teeth touched me while playing. Should I get vaccine?

Dr. Arun Kaushik. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I used to put biscuits for a stray dog in my office. Today, when I saw it, it came to me and started playing with me. Accidentally, one of the teeth touched my finger, but there was no injury or bleeding. Kindly advice if I should take a vaccine. Also, two months before I had Rabipur injection since one dog teeth hit my finger and I was injured.

#

• If you have already taken the full course of the vaccine, then no need to take a dose now.
  • Since there is no injury or blood, thorough cleaning might be enough.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

As advised by my family physician I took one dose of Rabipur injection. Is that fine?

#

• As per guidelines, you must have taken at least three doses because the immunity develops only after the full dose five injections of antirabies vaccine.
  • Since this time there was no bleeding or injury, I suggest the next time if you have any injury by a dog to go ahead with the full dose.

|