Q. Is it necessary to get rabies vaccine after dog scratch?

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

I had a dog scratch. Stray dog accidently tripped over my legs and his foot bruised over mine. No cut, no blood. Do I need rabies vaccine?

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine

I have read your query carefully, I just want to confirm that is there any blood from the scratches over your skin? Wash the scratches with soap and plenty of water. If possible provide a image of scratches to me so that I can conclude and if possible watch over the dog for 10 days.

There was no blood at all. Infact after washing, skin was exactly normal.

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine

There is no need of anti-rabies vaccine. For your safety, take a TT injection only.

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antirabies vaccine is usually protective for two years and the antibodies from first dose would have been at a protective level for you. This does not mean that the antibodies will go down after two years, but it only might go down. However, since you took two doses l...  Read Full

Got a TT shot after a fall and having more muscle and body pain. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. Three days back, I had a fall¬†from my motorbike on the road. I had some superficial bruises on my right leg and muscle pain on the right side of my body. I took a tetanus shot from my physician. I had Paracetamol 500 mg twice a day for two days to get relief from body ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tetanus injections cause pain and localized swelling. This is the reason for your trouble after getting a tetanus shot. The body and muscle pain, which you are describing, seems to be injury related and they are subsiding too. You need to have anti-inflammatory medicines ...  Read Full

Do I need another tetanus shot now if I had one last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a tetanus shot last year around June. I had another minor mishap on the road with a small injury (cleaned with antiseptic). Do I need another tetanus shot now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The last year's dose is not going to give you any protection now. If any one of the following has happened during the injury, you will need tetanus followup: Injury due to any rusted metallic object. Abrasion due to contact with the ground or the road. Contact ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now