Q. Can rabies spread by sharing a drink?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2019

My roommate was scratched very lightly by a stray cat the other day. Then a couple of days later, I shared a drink with her. Could I get rabies?

#

• Rabies does not get transmitted by drinking. It is transmitted by a direct bite or scratch from an infected animal.

Rest assured that eating or drinking does not transmit rabies.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

So, it cannot be transmitted even if we shared the same drink. Am I correct?

#

• Yes, it cannot be transmitted even if you shared the same drink.
  • Actually, the route of transmission of the rabies virus is by nerves at the site of bite or scratch from where it is carried to the brain. It is not transmitted by eating or sharing drinks.

|