Published on Feb 01, 2019 and last reviewed on Jul 20, 2019 - 3 min read
There are thousands of species of snakes and only a small percent of them are venomous. That is the sole reason why some people survive snake bites without taking antisera. Let us see what are the first aids and active management of a snake bite are.
Snakes are deadly when they are venomous. They produce venom and consciously inject into the target to kill or immobilize them. Poisonous animals on the other hand, are dangerous by all means, sometimes even by mere touch. So snakes are not that fatal after all, but ruling out the fatal factors are crucial.
Although it is beneficial if you give a good description of the snake to your casualty medical officer, I would not recommend you to go back to the snake once again to gather more details. Presenting the dead snake, if somehow it gets killed due to your resistance, will also do good. But again, do not attempt to go back to an angry snake which has already bit you. The venomous snakes have:
Now that we have an injured victim, no matter venomous or not, we should do first aid and bring him or her to the hospital.
Always be cautious not to release the brought snake in the hospital. The doctor will always advise 24-hour monitoring, which includes routine blood tests to know if the bleeding and clotting times are within normal limits. The patient will be asked to measure the urine output if necessary.
If there is any discrepancy or if the history is corresponding to a venomous snakebite, antisera should be started. An initial IV drip will be made at the beginning followed by routine monitoring, and then a subsequent dose if necessary will be given. As said earlier, not all of the bites need antisera. We have a single antiserum for the most common species of venomous snakes in the country. According to the region, some specific snake antivenom is not included in the polyvalent antivenom. But as the time advances, some brands provide them too.
Due to the behavior of the snakes to avoid contacts with humans, we do not encounter snakes daily. But snakes are very common in our neighborhood. They keep a "Do not come in search of me" attitude and sometimes we are the ones who offend them.
A triggered snake will always bite when it gets a chance. Do not promote any snake performers who always keep the snakes triggered for entertainment. You cannot make a snake pet, but you can only tame them. They have a very functional autonomic nervous system which makes them bite or run away when they encounter you. It is so sad that we sometimes end up getting it killed for our safety. So always, it is best to avoid contact. Use repellents if you want them to be away from your home.
Never underestimate a baby snake. Baby snakes inject high amounts of venom per bite as their ducts are immature and will not stop an outflow of venom. And they are difficult to identify too.
If you see a hooded head, it is probably a cobra. If you see an 'S' position ready to attack or ambush, it is probably a viper.
A dead snake should be handled with care as the venomous glands, and the fangs can still deliver the venom. An accidental step on it will cause a trigger of reflexes leading to injection of venom. And you will not suspect a bite before you see blood coming out from your foot. So, always bury the head deep in the soil and safe from playing children. Cremation may cause a disfigured venomous debris among the ashes which can injure the ash handler.
In conclusion, prevention is better than cure. Always avoid contact. If contacted, always avoid getting bitten and try running away from it. If it is in your escape path, make ground vibrations to shoo it away. If it does not move, call for help. Be brave. With the help of modern medicine, we have successfully overcome the mortality rates.
Query: Hello doctor,Under the influence of alcohol, I committed a blunder by making intimacy with my own pet dog last year. From that day onwards, I started to develop health problems such as weakness, mild fever, headache, tingling, unexplainable inflammation and burning sensation of the genitals area. I ... Read Full >>
Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You underwent many tests and all of them were normal except for some infection and for that, you are having ant-biotic. You can talk to your nearby doctor regarding rabies and can take antirabies course of injections to prevent rabies. Otherwise, you are doing fine.... Read Full
Query: Hello doctor,I am currently having a bit of a diet issue but I do not have the time to visit a doctor. The issue is that lately, I have been feeling constantly bloated and full, even if I eat little to no food. If I eat breakfast, it makes me too full and bloated throughout the day and so I had to c... Read Full >>
Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It may be caused due to the constipation problem. You should do regular exercise or yoga. Take ORS (oral rehydration solution two times in a day). Take a small meal at frequent interval, avoid any spicy food, take soup at breakfast. Take more water (at least 10 glass... Read Full
Query: Hi doctor,I have been bitten by a dog three months ago. I have multiple scars but the worst one is above the upper lip. Unfortunately, I went to a dermatologist recommended by family and he insisted to apply Yag Laser at 55 days post-bite. I asked if it was not too soon but he said it was harmless a... Read Full >>
Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, sorry for the unfortunate events you are going through. I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The first scar was definitely a small linear one which could have been corrected by few non-interventional methods than t... Read Full
Do you have a question on Antisera or Snack Bite?Ask a Doctor Online