Q. A healthy dog scratched my leg. Do I have to worry about rabies?

Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury

Yesterday, my dog who is around two months accidentally scratched my leg. The scratch is negligible but I lost half a drop of blood. The dog looks healthy and has not been bitten by other dogs. He has not been given antirabies injection because my vet told us he is too young to get one. Do I have to worry?

#

If a dog scratches or bites you, you need to have a vaccine. As you have a history of exposure (bites or scratches), then it is better to get the vaccine for post-exposure treatment. Post-exposure treatment consists of five injections by intramuscular route on Day 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28.

If you were vaccinated within five years then two injections D 0, and 3 only required. If it is more than five years then D 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28 are necessary.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|