Q. Can rabies virus spread by getting licked lightly by a vaccinated dog?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

My vaccinated dog (vet confirmed is safe) was in contact with a stray dog and may have licked or bitten the stray dog. My dog was washed with water, and the next day around 15 hours later, my dog licked me slightly on my lip. Is there a high chance that the rabies virus could survive away from the initial host by first transferring into my dog's mouth, then moving to me, although my dog is fully vaccinated? Apologies if this is a fundamental question; worry has seemed to take over.

#

I understand your query.

As your dog is fully vaccinated, there is no need to worry about rabies infection. There are no chances that you get infected with rabies through the dog's lick over your lip, as your dog is fully immunized or vaccinated against rabies infection. There are no chances of survival of virus-like rabies in the initial host and being transferred to you. However, in the future, avoid coming in contact with the saliva of pets like dogs, as other microbes live in your dog's mouth as normal flora for them but a pathogen for humans.

I hope my answer clarifies your doubt.

|