Q. Will rabies virus survive outside host if exposed to sunlight?

Dr. Arun Kaushik. R

Can rabies virus survive outside host on grass or leaves if it is exposed to sunlight?

#

Usually, UV rays of the sun are known to kill the virus. So usually they do not survive outside the body when exposed to the sunlight.

If a rabid animal drools on grass or leaves under sunlight, does it still remain infectious?

#

If you touch the saliva drooled out on a grass it does not cause any infection, if there is intact skin. That is if your hand has no cuts or abrasions then the virus entry into the skin is usually not possible. Suggest that you wash your hands well with soap and water. If the saliva is there for a long time on the grass in presence of sunlight, then there is a very low chance of the virus to be stable.

|