Q. Will having unprotected sex with dog cause rabies?

Published on Nov 02, 2019

Since last year, I am having a lot of health problems such as back pain, fingers joint dull pain, chest inflammation, irritation at penile area, inflammation inside the penile hole, body irritation, body weakness, fever. I often do sense inside my head, i.e., pricking with pins and needles and flu-like symptoms all the time.

The reasons for the above-mentioned problems are due to unprotected sex with a creature (dog). Under the heavy influence of an alcohol, such a blunder was committed. I have an apprehension of contracting rabies from that encounter. Can rabies be sexually transmitted? Please suggest me what test should I need to do to rule out the above-mentioned symptoms. I have great hope in you as you are one of experienced and best doctor cum pathologist. Please advice me the test so that I can perform the test and revert it to you for treatment.

Hematology Pathology
#

Rabies can spread sexually but your symptoms do not classically point towards rabies infection. The neurological symptoms like confusion, nausea, excess salivation, etc., are missing. So the chance of rabies is less as per my opinion. However, for rabies, testing multiple samples like saliva, spinal CSF fluid, etc., like examination are needed.

You can rule out leptospirosis by serological ELISA testing as you have a history of sex with the dog. There are many zoonotic diseases which mean those infections which spread from animal to human. HIV also can be ruled out by ELISA testing. So your detailed evaluation is needed to do further work up.

For primary work-up, you can investigate as follows. Blood pressure measurement, serum all vitamin B estimation, SGPT, SGOT, urea, creatinine estimation, ESR, full CBC, serum ionized calcium estimation, serum vitamin (OH) D estimation. You can revert back with reports. For your detailed physical examination, you need to consult nearby internal medicine specialist.

It is a family dog but not vaccinated. As per my observation, it is a good dog. Since for the last one and half year there is no sign of disease in dog. Can good dog do transmit rabies? The dog is still alive, or does every dog have rabies virus? Or is rabies present in unhealthy dogs? Or every unvaccinated dog do carry rabies virus in them?

If found out the presence of rabies through saliva test, then is there any step to prevent or cure the infection? I took two rabies vaccine after seven months from the day it happened. During bedtime, I often felt a tingling sensation at the penile area, insomnia and some sorts of ringing sound in the ear, etc. As you have mentioned neurological symptoms like confusion, it means what? What types of confusion? If I gave my saliva for the test at the test center, is the test reliable? How many days does it require to get results? And what is the cost of the test?

Hematology Pathology
#

If your dog is alive after one year of exposure, then the chance of rabies is very much less. Usually, a normal healthy dog does not carry the virus. The rabies dog cannot survive for one year and it does not seem to be a healthy dog. So you may need not to worry about rabies. The neurological symptoms include mental confusion state, hydrophobia, convulsion, etc.

The direct fluorescent antibody testing, PCR, etc., are different testing methods in saliva, CSF fluid, etc. But it cannot be 100 % diagnostic. The only reliable, confirmatory test is rabies virus identification in brain tissue. But you need not test for rabies as per history and as per my opinion. The is no effective treatment for rabies. The only effective treatment is post-exposure prophylaxis with a vaccine within five days of exposure.

sir,this is the report.Urine culture and sensitivity and vitamin B-12 report will be available four days.

Hematology Pathology
# Hello welcome back to the icliniq. Com

Your complete blood count report, liver profile and kidney profile report is normal.

So anemia, liver disease and Kidney disease can be ruled out.

Your protein level is also within limit.

Now you can revert back with other reports once done.

It's advisable to consult nearby physician for detailed physical examination if your symptoms continue.

Hope I have answered your question.
Regards
sir, here it is the remaining report.Please kindly review this report n suggest me a suitable treatment plan.

Hematology Pathology

Your B12 report is absolutely normal and no treatment needed for that.

Your urine culture report shows greater than 1 lakh colony counts which represent significant bacteriauria. So it is suggestive of urinary tract infection by E. Coli.

For that you can be prescribed Amoxicillin and clavulenic acid combination drug 625 mg BD for 5-7 days.

Meanwhile Cranberry juice and citrus fruit juice can be consumed more.

Drink lots of water as well and avoid excess spicy foods intake to treat UTI.

However you should consult nearby physician for your detailed evaluation and get written prescription accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards

Can rabies spread through food licked by a cat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having some doubts about rabies. Will rabies spread through food, which is licked by a cat? Will rabies virus die on heating?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am giving you my opinion regarding your doubts. Rabies can spread through the saliva of an infected animal, especially dog. But from saliva, the virus can spread if the skin is not intact or it can spread through mucosa contact. So, direct saliva contact to mucosa ha...  Read Full

Can unprotected sex for a minute cause HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with an unknown woman hardly for a minute about a month back. After about four days, I got cold and a kind of sore throat, but not exactly sore throat. I got tested for HIV after 15 days and it came back negative. Now, for the past one week, I have a feeling of so...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chance of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by single unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000. It is very low. She may be negative, so she might have asked it. Probably, the test done was antibodies tests. It is considere...  Read Full

Had unprotected sex today. Should my partner take contraceptive?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected intercourse this morning. But, I am not sure whether I had ejaculated inside. Should my partner take a contraceptive? She is having PCOD. Kindly advice.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she is in her ovulation period then better to take an emergency contraceptive pill. Ovulation occurs 14 days prior to the expected menses. Imagine her periods is of 28 days then unsafe days are from 11th day of menses to 20th day. Ovulation is unpredictable as the cyc...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now