Q. I got vaccinated for rabies after a dog bite. Am I safe from rabies?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

I was bitten by a dog last year. The gate of the dog was wide open and when I passed near it, the dog bit me. It bit me on my right leg. After that, I rushed to the hospital for vaccination. The nurse injected something on the wound every time when I went to the hospital. They also injected something on my left arm and right arm. I completed day zero, day three, and day seven. The dog did not die within two weeks. The doctor told me that is is nothing to worry. I am anxious for almost three months now because the dog died before four months. Do I need to end my life due to anxiety? Am I safe? I am scared.

#

I understand your concern. You do not need to worry because you are safe and you do not have rabies. So please leave your fear. Usually, when the dog dies within two weeks we suspect that the dog can have rabies. But in your case, it has been nine months, and you got vaccinated immediately after the bite. So there is nothing to worry and you do not have any symptoms. It is your anxiety causing problems and so please do not worry.

|