Q. My father has developed enteritis and his abdomen is swollen. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 07, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2018

After receiving 10 radiations, my father has developed enteritis and his abdomen is swollen. Antibiotics and IV treatment are being carried out. I need further advise here.

#

I understand your concern. Radiation enteritis is a very common side effect of radiation therapy. I need to know the following:

1. How was this diagnosis made?
  2. What medications is he taking?
  3. Also, mention the part of the body he received radiotherapy and do provide the staging.

The diagnosis was made after CECT abdomen. The medications given to him are Pipzo 4.5 injection, Omez injection, Pantocid IV, Cynocal 16 injection, IV fluids (Compound sodium lactate), Metronidazole injection, Emeset 2mL injection, and Calcium Sandoz injection. He is not allowed to eat anything. He has lung carcinoma and was given radiotherapy on left leg bone and pelvic bone. He is in the IVth stage of cancer. He is a heart patient, diabetic, hypertension patient with a single stent. We brought him to our hometown this month, and he was admitted since the first night. We cannot take him outside our hometown, as he is very weak and other constraints. Please advise.

#

Thank you for reverting. Yes, this is radiation enteritis. The treatment that is going on is fine. However, I would advise you to discuss with your doctor for two things that I would have given:

1. To add Metronidazole antibiotic to the prescription to give anaerobic cover.
  2. To give him parenteral nutrition. That is adding nutritional supplements given through IV drip.

| 

How to treat diarrhea following radiation therapy and chemotherapy?

Query: Hi doctor, I just finished with radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Now, I feel bloated and nauseated. Also, I am having bad diarrhea. What should I do?  Read Full »

How to Extend Your Healthy Life Years!!!

Article Overview: This article is all about your health and risk factors for major diseases that cause a reduction to the healthy years of human life. Everyone can spend a life, free of preventable diseases. Read Article

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I would like to start with a very famous quote of George Burns (1896-1996) "Death is not popular, it is not good for the complexion, and it leaves you with too much time on your hands". Do you know how many diseases are there to cause the trouble for humanity today? Yes, there are more than 100,00...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now