Q. Do repeated X-rays and CT scans increase the risk of cancer?

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

I am a 30-year-old female. I recently had a CT scan and other X-rays done. The CT scan was of my head and neck, including contrast dye. I also had a chest X-ray done and a few other X-rays taken by a chiropractor. Outside of the annual dental X-rays, I have not had any other X-rays, but I am worried about potential cancer risks in the future caused by these additional exams. I am not aware of the radiation dosage for any of the scans. Still, the CT scan results say that dose modulation or weight-based adjustment of the mA/kV was utilized to reduce the radiation dose to as low as reasonably achievable. What does this mean? Could you give me your opinion on this?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. I understand that your anxiety is due to having several radiology examinations, which you usually do not have. I have reviewed the dose report that you attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and I find that the computed tomography (CT) and computed tomography dose index (CTDI) and the dose-length product (DLP) quoted are very typical doses for such scans. Everyone is having those kinds of scans and they receive such amounts on average. And the as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) statement that you quoted is an assurance to me, and I would ask you not to worry about it.

|