Radiation Exposure

What is NCCT?

Query: Hi doctor, What is NCCT scan? Does it have any side effect?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. NCCT is a non-contrast computerised tomography. It is just a higher version of x-ray. It is like multiple x-rays taken of your body part to construct a better image than the x-ray. Single scan has no side effects. However, if multiple scans are being done, then there ...  Read Full »

I am worried about the radiation exposure during CT scan. Is there any other test I can do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female. I am generally fit and not obese. My doctor suggested a CT scan for my heart. I am worried about the amount of radiation and contrast dye I will be exposed to. Are there any other tests I can do? And is this test too critical with my other findings? Symptoms...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome on icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your medical history and would like to explain that your symptoms (migrating and pulsating pain) seems nonspecific for any cardiac issue. Also, you have no apparent coronary risk factors (your lipid profile is fine with no known hypertensio...  Read Full »

Does the natural background radiation level add to cancer risk on top of a dose from medical imaging?

Query: Hello doctor, Does the natural background radiation level (3 mS v per year) add to cancer risk on top of a dose from medical imaging, or is natural radiation separate or safe since we all receive it?  Read Full »

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn

Radiotherapist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One mSv is the limit for the general public. The background is usually within this limit. But radiation workers have a limit of 20 mSv per year, which is also very safe. Also, doses from medical imaging can contribute. But the benefits from medical imaging offset any...  Read Full »

I had a hip X-ray of 35 mAs. How many more mSv have I received? Was I overexposed?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a hip X-ray of 35 mAs. An average hip x-ray is supposed to be 20 mAs/.07 mSv. So if my hip x-ray was 35 mAs, how many more mSv have I received? Was I overexposed?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The x-ray power output depends on mAs (milliampere-seconds) and kVp (kilovoltage peak) parameters. The average hip x-ray can be done at about 20 to 30 mAs and 70 to 80 KVp. The general rule is that the percentage increase in mAs causes a similar increase in radiation...  Read Full »

Does radiation exposure during x-ray cause cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. I am obese with weight more than 130 kg. I got plenty of tests done in a single year. Last year, I got my CT scan of full abdomen followed by five chest x-rays. One CT scan of the brain plain and bone densitometry (DEXA) scan in June and a CT PNS yesterday. Now ...  Read Full »

Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar

Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. X-ray and CT scan uses ionizing radiation. Though these are harmful rays, in diagnostic radiology it is generally safe for the patients. Though you have undergone many investigations it is well below the maximum allowable safe dose for the patient. Amount of radiation...  Read Full »

Can a CT scan of the pelvis affect my eggs?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a lower GI and pelvic CT scan with contrast done at the age of 36 years. I fly a lot. I want kids. Did this scan harm my eggs or increase my chances of developing cancer? Nothing was found in the scan, and the MSV was 8.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. The contrast CT scan pelvis has exposed you to radiation of 8 mSv as recorded on the machine. For a 36 year old female patient, this means you are exposed to an additional cancer risk of 0.09 ...  Read Full »

I had a dental scan possibly on the day I conceived. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a dental scan the week I conceived my baby or possibly the day I conceived. Should I be worried?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dose of radiation in a dental X-ray is very less and approximately 0.01 mSv. This will not cause any significant harm if you got X-ray done on the day you might have conceived. Please avoid X-rays during the pregnancy.   Read Full »

Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Query: Hello doctor, We are living in a building. It has four floors. We are on the third floor. There is a mobile tower on the roof. Is there any harm to the baby and us due to the tower? Please advise us if there is any harm, then what to do? The baby is three months old.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, it is said that radiations from the mobile tower are not carcinogenic. However, there is no proof for that. This statement is based on research. Currently, there are no guidelines stating that one should stay away from mobile tower radiations, so there is noth...  Read Full »

How to calculate the radiation dose from three scout scans?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a CT scan of the chest and abdomen. What is odd about this scan is that the technician did three scout scans before the final helical scan, which made me uncomfortable because I do not know how much radiation I received in those scans. When I got the CD, I looked at the dose repo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From calculations, the total radiation dose received by you during the CT scan is likely 10 mSv. Please note that scout images give low dose and three scout images will not significantly increas...  Read Full »

Is there any risk of radiation if HSG test is done twice?

Query: Hi doctor, Three years back, I conceived for the first time without any medicine but unfortunately the pregnancy ended up in miscarriage. Since 8 months I am trying to conceive now. The following year I got a HSG test and was informed that both my fallopian tubes were blocked. Doctor said laparoscop...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your problem. HSG (Hysterosalpingography) is a good test. It not only will detect the block, but sometimes because of the pressure of the dye being inserted inside, the tubes sometimes open up. So, it actually at times cures the problem as well. There is ...  Read Full »