Radiation Exposure

Does watching esophagus manometry affect the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a question about radiation. I had an esophageal manometry with high resolution together with a video scan of the esophagus. I was in a high flat bed and had contrast-liquid while they looked at my esophagus emptying that is swallowing process. They of course used as a small dose ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The radiation is focused on the location of study and therefore the x-ray emitted was towards your esophagus. Your eyes were safe and did not receive harmful levels of radiation. The nurse is supposed to wear the glasses because she attends many procedures on a daily basi...  Read Full »

Can radiations from PET and CT scan affect other family members?

Query: Hello doctor, Over two years ago my eldest son was diagnosed with lymphoma. He had PET scans and CT scans. These started at the end of my last pregnancy and went on while my son was a newborn and infant. I do not remember him holding the baby, but he came home from scans and was around him. They...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Your baby is totally safe. There is radiation risk only when doing PET and CT scans. The risk is only to the patient, which means your eldest son in your case. Your newborn was never exposed to ...  Read Full »

What is NCCT?

Query: Hi doctor, What is NCCT scan? Does it have any side effect?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. NCCT is a non-contrast computerised tomography. It is just a higher version of x-ray. It is like multiple x-rays taken of your body part to construct a better image than the x-ray. Single scan has no side effects. However, if multiple scans are being done, then there ...  Read Full »

I am worried about the radiation exposure during CT scan. Is there any other test I can do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female. I am generally fit and not obese. My doctor suggested a CT scan for my heart. I am worried about the amount of radiation and contrast dye I will be exposed to. Are there any other tests I can do? And is this test too critical with my other findings? Symptoms...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome on icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your medical history and would like to explain that your symptoms (migrating and pulsating pain) seems nonspecific for any cardiac issue. Also, you have no apparent coronary risk factors (your lipid profile is fine with no known hypertensio...  Read Full »

Does the natural background radiation level add to cancer risk on top of a dose from medical imaging?

Query: Hello doctor, Does the natural background radiation level (3 mS v per year) add to cancer risk on top of a dose from medical imaging, or is natural radiation separate or safe since we all receive it?  Read Full »

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn

Radiotherapist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. One mSv is the limit for the general public. The background is usually within this limit. But radiation workers have a limit of 20 mSv per year, which is also very safe. Also, doses from medical imaging can contribute. But the benefits from medical imaging offset any...  Read Full »

I had a hip X-ray of 35 mAs. How many more mSv have I received? Was I overexposed?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a hip X-ray of 35 mAs. An average hip x-ray is supposed to be 20 mAs/.07 mSv. So if my hip x-ray was 35 mAs, how many more mSv have I received? Was I overexposed?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The x-ray power output depends on mAs (milliampere-seconds) and kVp (kilovoltage peak) parameters. The average hip x-ray can be done at about 20 to 30 mAs and 70 to 80 KVp. The general rule is that the percentage increase in mAs causes a similar increase in radiation...  Read Full »

Does radiation exposure during x-ray cause cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. I am obese with weight more than 130 kg. I got plenty of tests done in a single year. Last year, I got my CT scan of full abdomen followed by five chest x-rays. One CT scan of the brain plain and bone densitometry (DEXA) scan in June and a CT PNS yesterday. Now ...  Read Full »

Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar

Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. X-ray and CT scan uses ionizing radiation. Though these are harmful rays, in diagnostic radiology it is generally safe for the patients. Though you have undergone many investigations it is well below the maximum allowable safe dose for the patient. Amount of radiation...  Read Full »

Can a CT scan of the pelvis affect my eggs?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a lower GI and pelvic CT scan with contrast done at the age of 36 years. I fly a lot. I want kids. Did this scan harm my eggs or increase my chances of developing cancer? Nothing was found in the scan, and the MSV was 8.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. The contrast CT scan pelvis has exposed you to radiation of 8 mSv as recorded on the machine. For a 36 year old female patient, this means you are exposed to an additional cancer risk of 0.09 ...  Read Full »

I had a dental scan possibly on the day I conceived. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a dental scan the week I conceived my baby or possibly the day I conceived. Should I be worried?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dose of radiation in a dental X-ray is very less and approximately 0.01 mSv. This will not cause any significant harm if you got X-ray done on the day you might have conceived. Please avoid X-rays during the pregnancy.   Read Full »

Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?

Query: Hello doctor, We are living in a building. It has four floors. We are on the third floor. There is a mobile tower on the roof. Is there any harm to the baby and us due to the tower? Please advise us if there is any harm, then what to do? The baby is three months old.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, it is said that radiations from the mobile tower are not carcinogenic. However, there is no proof for that. This statement is based on research. Currently, there are no guidelines stating that one should stay away from mobile tower radiations, so there is noth...  Read Full »