Q. What are the side effects of radiation used in lithotripsy?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2019

I am 24 years old. I had my kidney stone removed a year ago for causing mild hydronephrosis at my right kidney. During the treatment, I was exposed to full of radiation, abdominal CT scan, lithotripsy, fluoroscopy, and another fluoroscopy during stent insertion. I am not sure how the doctor manages the radiation. I did my treatment abroad and it is not really a well-developed country. He might not even care bout it. I studied some about radiation when I was in dental school so I am very scared of the side effects.

So if I am to have another case of hydronephrosis, should I just remove the kidney rather than undergoing such radiation which may cause me high risk of future cancer? Because as you can see, I am still so young and I just started my career. What do you suggest? Do the pros outweigh the cons or vice versa? Is there another less risky treatment in terms of radiation? How about invasive treatment? Is the risk higher aside from the slow healing? And I am serious about the removal if indeed it has lower radiation risk, even though I know kidney is very important. Please suggest.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

There are enough studies and literature which prove that though there is radiation exposure during CT (computed tomography) scan in the removal of kidney stone it is in low dose and chances of cancer do not increase. So do not worry about that.

I do not think removing kidney to escape from radiation exposure is a good option. You should not think of that. If there is again stone formation then there is a treatment called ultrasound-guided lithotripsy (ESWL) which can break your stone from outside without any radiation exposure. So you can do ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) if required later but no need to remove the kidney.

| 

How to Prevent Kidney Stones?

Article Overview: This article discusses the ways to prevent the formation of kidney stones. Read Article

A kidney stone is a common condition affecting individuals of all age groups. It is a recurring problem with approximately 50 % individuals experiencing a second episode. Though some people are prone to kidney stones, majority experience it because of their lifestyle.      ...  Read Article

What do punctate calculi mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a CT scan today and two punctate stones were found in the mid-lower portion of my right kidney. I was advised they measured 1 to 2 mm. I currently have urologic issues of possible stricture near the tip of the penis. In addition, I have a lifelong urine flow issue wher...  Read Full »

Three kidney stones came out and my creatinine levels is 1.6. Is it dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor, One week before three kidney stones came out, and I have a burning sensation while urinating after that. I went to the doctor he took some test and told that my creatinine level was 1.6. Is it dangerous? I have hypertension and my value is 150/100.  Read Full »